Crash caught on helmet cam

Found a great video then post it up here. It doesn't have to be about bikes.
skipper

Re: Crash caught on helmet cam

Post by skipper »

£80 fine, you can get more than that for parking!!!.
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

I did my advanced rider training last year with the IAM (Institute Advanced Motorists) which was excellent, well worth looking into. Can take you to police rider level if you keep training.

I'm no expert, and the van driver is a prick, but I would of been on left hand side of my road in the tyre track to give good separation from traffic on right; would of given me a moment more gap. He did this earlier but moved out probably because of junction, but the visible danger was the van. Tricky decision.....

I wouldn't of nodded the other bike rider (notice he takes his eyes off road as he nods) - I now stretch my leg out, French style! I'm more worried about idiots than being friendly.

I would of eased off as it was a junction, some glare, possible brow of a hill coming up? I hopefully would of noticed the dick head was near centre line and crossing into right turn area. And I would of said a little prayer before I set off - I think the bike rider did that bit!!

Once my IAM trainer came to a virtual stop on a dodgy 60 mph country road because a car was half in a lay-by with engine running. He wasn't confident what the f*** the guy was doing. If in doubt, it's best to show caution.
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

skipper wrote:£80 fine, you can get more than that for parking!!!.

And that is absolutely the worst part of the story!
-Ralph-

Crash caught on helmet cam

Post by -Ralph- »

Don't fancy a left swerve on that one because of the kerb and the brick wall, there's no right or wrong answer here.

Of course the best course of action would have been get on the brakes earlier because of the vans speed, position and proximity to that junction, so you don't need to swerve at all, he didn't react until the van was turning across his path.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

Allegedly the van driver was on his phone!
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

It may be me but the rider appears to be travelling rather fast for the conditions of the road and enviroment.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

hotbulb wrote:Allegedly the van driver was on his phone!
Is that confirmed? You can't see that through the front windscreen.

"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Yoyo

Post by Yoyo »

The concern for me about swerving to the right is where the blame goes if you have a collision, as it stands it's black and white, van driver at fault but if I swerve around the van and hit a biker waiting to turn right behind the van surely some blame is going to come my way, all of a sudden it's less black and white. The rider got off quite lightly, a guy on the S10 forum had the same happen to him but he is badly injured and thanks to his injuries he will never ride again. Be safe out there!
James_Death

Post by James_Death »

Kipper wrote:I did my advanced rider training last year with the IAM (Institute Advanced Motorists) which was excellent, well worth looking into. Can take you to police rider level if you keep training.
I had been informed the IAM cannot get you to police rider level the only one that comes close is the very top level of ROSPA and then your at instructor level to get that.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Yoyo wrote:The concern for me about swerving to the right is where the blame goes if you have a collision, as it stands it's black and white, van driver at fault but if I swerve around the van and hit a biker waiting to turn right behind the van surely some blame is going to come my way, all of a sudden it's less black and white. The rider got off quite lightly, a guy on the S10 forum had the same happen to him but he is badly injured and thanks to his injuries he will never ride again. Be safe out there!
The van would still have caused the accident.

It's not about blame though really, the van driver is clearly at fault, it's about minimising potential damages to your body.

Return to “VIDEOS”