Crash caught on helmet cam

Found a great video then post it up here. It doesn't have to be about bikes.
James_Death

Re: Crash caught on helmet cam

Post by James_Death »

Its one of those things that we can throw theories at as were disconnected no matter what we hope to do if it was ourselves in the spur of the moment who knows.

Advanced riding gets you into the mind set to always been wary always assessing the risks and potential outcomes always looking for avoiding actions should this that and or the other happen.

40mph coming to a junction on a national limit road is certainly legitimate your don't want to be going slower or do you! your affecting traffic flow you slow too much to soon you risk been rear ended or someone overtaking you and pushing back in, too slow vehicle exiting the junction despite you not having indicated to turn your decreased speed may make them believe your turning as we all see folk making a turn with no signal beforehand.

I know for the speed making a sharp left is not really an option, however letting the bike go as have seen riders leap from the back of the bike before or simply lay it down.

But would we.

While filtering many years ago as last outing from doncaster to london last time with my good lady on the back as she was 5 weeks pregnant going to break news in person to best friends, we never even got out of donny.

Mid day good clear visibility dry conditions both my twin headlights on and bike fully faired purple and pink bike.

Me in black leathers with huge pink swishes on it, yes swishes, yes true power ranger, car decides I've had enough sitting in traffic ill cut across into car dealership opposite and probably turn around, well cuts right across me, i banked to the left as no way i could stop in time and indeed cleared the car just but to far over bike went down and remember watching wife fly over me and face plant into road lucky it was a full face as the gouge marks to the visor and chin bar were deep leather jacket boots and glove she wore but long before armoured jeans just regular she still carries the 5 inch scar where her knee was split open.

If i had hit the car the claim would have been sorted in short order but because i avoided the car they tried to blame me, came to a 50/50 liability so wife got payout from both parties and i got a smashed up bike to repair myself.
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

Hmm swerve into a potential oncoming vehicle or hit the van ??? Hindsight is an amazing thing and anyone can comment on a video about what they would do in that situation after watching it but who would 100% say that they would take the risk of swerving right to avoid the van and potentially hit a speeding/undertaking car/van/bus/lorry/bike/cyclist/pedestrian you would have to have some spiderman senses to have avoided anything coming the other way we can all comment and say what we would have and wouldn't have done in that situation but A it wasn't you B I'm just glad he's OK and C if you want to take on the possibility of a more serious head on by swerving right into potentially a car/bike/lorry etc etc at 30/40/50/60 miles an hour more fool you
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡บ
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

Sorry chaps but someone commenting on this has grated on a nerve commenting on what they'd do then having a pop at the guy for shouting argh it's a form of panic it's in human nature and no amount of advanced training would stop you shitting yourself If you was in that situation I ride 12 months a year not because I have to because i choose to i have a lovely new top of the range mondeo sat outside my house but I choose to ride everyday I have hairy moments everyday because of unaware drivers yes I counter act but no one is perfect and that sun could have been in his eyes aswell as his cameras but let the keyboard warriors do there thing if it makes them feel big sorry rant over it just grates on me how people pull folk apart when they sit watching a video

Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

I'm sure advanced riding training wouldn't teach you to swerve into potential oncoming traffic but I maybe wrong

-Ralph-

Crash caught on helmet cam

Post by -Ralph- »

All I can say is I'd have done anything to avoid hitting that van head on, that's a recipe for getting hurt and I had that drummed into me as a kid on pillion.

There is no filter lane for the van to turn right, so the vehicle behind can't undertake at speed, he has to wait behind for the van to turn before continuing on, and you can see that quite clearly in the video. So the supposion you could hit something doing 30/40/50/60 mph is just nonsense.

1) You can't say a collision with an undertaking vehicle would even have happened 2) the car behind the van was over a vans length further away giving everyone more time to reduce speed hence reducing impact 3) If you do end up on a collision course with the second car, the car driver behind may manage to avoid you. 4) If you do collide with the car behind its more likely to be a deflection impact rather than straight head on 5) I'd rather be hitting the bonnet of a car thats two van lengths away than the flat windscreen of a van which is right in front of me.

The only thing certain in that situation where you haven't reacted until the van is already crossing your path, is hitting the van head on if you don't swerve, at the closest range, having scrubbed off the least speed.

So to say "more fool you" for giving anything else a go is quite frankly a bit daft IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

So if you had swerved at the last minute surely you would have face planted the side of the van and not the windscreen I know which one I'd prefer like I said hindsight is an amazing thing maybe his vision was glared maybe it wasn't but unless you were the rider in that specific instance you surely can't comment on how he reacted you clearly stated how you would have done this and that and saying argh wasn't helping I just hope a van doesn't pull out on you

-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Teflon Jnr wrote:Sorry chaps but someone commenting on this has grated on a nerve commenting on what they'd do then having a pop at the guy for shouting argh....

I ride 12 months a year not because I have to because i choose to
Firstly, nobody is having a pop, it's just discussion about want could have been done differently. You might learn something.

Secondly I ride all year round too, until recently to the tune of 1000 miles a month, and I've done 25 years without a collision with another vehicle.

Thirdly I know for sure I'd try for an escape route rather than have a head on, because head on's kill and my father drummed in from a young age, "if your going to hit something, make sure it's not the thing coming the other way". Closing speed is the most dangerous thing you can ever have to deal with. So it's not just pulling apart a video from the comfort of an armchair. I know for a fact I'd try to avoid that van.

Perhaps the reason I haven't had a collision like it for all these years is because I've read the situation a bit earlier anyway.

"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

We can all comment on what we would and wouldn't do but no one can say 100% how they would react in any situation all you can see is a video it doesn't show what the rider can and can't see regardless of training I personally now a few instructors who train police and Jo public and they have had crashes and they wouldn't say that they would have done this and that nothing can prepare you for the unknown regardless of training

-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Teflon Jnr wrote:I have hairy moments everyday
Therein lies a problem. I have a hairy moment about once a year.

Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

I wasn't pulling apart your riding I do 18000 miles a year but that's by the by I have known people who have died through minor bike accidents and I personally now someone who has had a lot more happen to them by someone pulling out on them he is a phenomenal rider but someone decided to pull out on him and he hit the side off his car and suffered horrendous injury's he has flat lined 3 times since the accident my point is until you are in that exact specific moment that rider was you can't comment

Return to โ€œVIDEOSโ€