Hydrogen powered bikes...

Found a great video then post it up here. It doesn't have to be about bikes.
Loggy

Hydrogen powered bikes...

Post by Loggy »

Interesting stuff...

Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere

Toyota Hilux 3.0lt

Army - Bedford MJ Radar Repair Workshop
HarveyCamm

Re: Hydrogen powered bikes...

Post by HarveyCamm »

If you could rig a bike up to run on methane then you could get to London for the price of a loaf of wholemeal bread and some sprouts :lol:

Braaaaaap
Moorso
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@alternate-road

Post by Moorso »

Always wondered why hydrogen powered vehicles seem to have died a death for a focus on hybrid and electric technology. I know Honda had created a hydrogen powered car - the only thing that it emitted was water at the end....so it seemed like the technology to pursue.

Also, there were no charging issues and no loss of power. I can remember reading that the main issue was that although hydrogen is the most abundant material in the universe, it's actually extracting it that is the issue.

Noted that Suzuki had patented hydrogen motorcycle technology.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@alternate-road
Web: www.alternate-road.blogspot.co.uk/

Author of: 'Valhalla and the Fjörd'
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

creating unit small enough to do the extraction was one issue I had heard and of course storage

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
devon john

Post by devon john »

petrol chemical companies would NOT allow this to happen till every last drop of fuel was sold

john
paul_tim2000

Post by paul_tim2000 »

The storage of Hydrogen is a real pain even compared to methane, stopping it leaking can be a "challenge".

The major problem with any alternative to petrol/diesel is the refueling infrastructure, even electric is a problem if you park on the street and can't get your vehicle off the road. Unless someone makes the political decision to invest / implement an alternative then breaking the stranglehold of the oil companies with their mature infrastructure will have to wait until oil becomes very scarce and expensive. Probably never happen just left to the market, will need a worldwide political decision to make it economic.
sledgegreen

Post by sledgegreen »

Hydrogen is abundant and clean to burn - burning it produces water, which is about as clean as pollutants get.

The common sources of hydrogen are air and water, both of which contain loads. The problem is that extracting the hydrogen takes power. You can get hydrogen from water using electrolysis - so in theory you can generate hydrogen on the move, but you need to carry around a big battery to do it.

I am not sure how you get hydrogen from air - I suspect that you liquify it and then distil the liquid.

I think that hydrogen power might work on something like a canal boat, which can carry enough solar panels to power the electrolysis, and doesn't need to carry a supply of water. I don't see how it can work on a motorbike.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

sledgegreen wrote:Hydrogen is abundant and clean to burn - burning it produces water, which is about as clean as pollutants get.

The common sources of hydrogen are air and water, both of which contain loads. The problem is that extracting the hydrogen takes power. You can get hydrogen from water using electrolysis - so in theory you can generate hydrogen on the move, but you need to carry around a big battery to do it.

I am not sure how you get hydrogen from air - I suspect that you liquify it and then distil the liquid.

I think that hydrogen power might work on something like a canal boat, which can carry enough solar panels to power the electrolysis, and doesn't need to carry a supply of water. I don't see how it can work on a motorbike.

They are making good progress.... http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/ ... rogen-247/
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

One problem is water/steam produced by exhaust x millions of vehicles = wet icy roads :whistle:
IainD

Post by IainD »

Sounds like a plot for a novel.

Ben Elton - Gridlock.

Not a bad read, even if you keep getting visions of a shiny suit and glasses...

Return to “VIDEOS”