Why dirt bikes need a kickstart...

Found a great video then post it up here. It doesn't have to be about bikes.
SteveR

Why dirt bikes need a kickstart...

Post by SteveR »

Or sod the kickstart, fit pedals....

Watch and sympathise :P
Nigel

Re: Why dirt bikes need a kickstart...

Post by Nigel »

:laugh: big KTM fan then :laugh:
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

So,
Knackered battery? Bad connection? He knew the bike had starting issues, so why not carry a bit of climbing cord, (tow rope), in the tool kit. His mate could have easily given his bike a quick tug to bump start it.

Next video, Freeride faults. Same guy.
Failed rear brake. So brake pads virtually down to the backing. How is that KTM's fault?

I think the real lesson here is to check and maintain your bike and always carry some basic tools, including a spare plug and a tow rope. Simples.

Mind you, I do think that taking the kick start lever off of dirt bikes is not the cleverest move going. I would never own a dirt bike without a kick starter.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

daytona-supersport wrote:So,
Knackered battery? Bad connection? He knew the bike had starting issues, so why not carry a bit of climbing cord, (tow rope), in the tool kit. His mate could have easily given his bike a quick tug to bump start it.

Next video, Freeride faults. Same guy.
Failed rear brake. So brake pads virtually down to the backing. How is that KTM's fault?

I think the real lesson here is to check and maintain your bike and always carry some basic tools, including a spare plug and a tow rope. Simples.

Mind you, I do think that taking the kick start lever off of dirt bikes is not the cleverest move going. I would never own a dirt bike without a kick starter.
Ahem

If you had ridden with any Freeride - you would understand a bit more :whistle:
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

Unfortunately many Freerides seem to have been plagued with problems since introduction.
The 2Ts were particularly poor.

Having said that, I rode one earlier this year for many hours and it was trouble free and great fun.
(but it's no enduro bike !)
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

daytona-supersport wrote:So,

I still remain uneasy about the lack of a kickstart too... I found the link in a discussion about the AJP aircooled range which/woll would take a KS, some of the pundits seemed to think this suggested a lack of faith in the electrical system by AJP, all those with the bike said it was just fine!! :)
jonesthesteam

Post by jonesthesteam »

He should have gone "Basil" on it.... Jonesy
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

proper funny that is ..he is a bit of a dick though ..he new it wernt right before he went out ..ill guarrentee he will be the one with no spare tube no leveres no nowt ..id have at least had me mini jump leads with me ..so you reap what you sow

great commentary he he :evil: (thumbs)
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
kev.t

Post by kev.t »

fail to plan, plan to fail........ that is all.
bowber

Post by bowber »

Bit of a wally but it does illustrate the point that a bike made for off road riding needs a manual method of starting. Track bikes don't though but a bike like the freeride is made to be ridden into extremes and by definition that can cause problems with battery operated systems anyway.

Steve

Return to “VIDEOS”