Bike Instructor fail.............

Found a great video then post it up here. It doesn't have to be about bikes.
steve172

Re: Bike Instructor fail.............

Post by steve172 »

bull wrote:but how would the cyclist know that the car also has its indicator on to turn into an entrance in the middle of the roundabout exit
bull wrote:how the fu*k is anyone supposed to know that the car in front is not indicating for the roundabout exit, but for an entrance in the middle of the exit
Exiting the roundabout and turning left into the next exit are two separate manoeuvres and therefore require two separate uses of your indicators (i.e. turn off indicator after first manoeuvre and indicate again for the second manoeuvre). Much the same as going from lane 1 to lane 3 on a motorway, or any other junction or series of manoeuvres.
steve172

Post by steve172 »

-Ralph- wrote:
steve172 wrote:My instructor once told me it was ok to stop on double yellows if she told me to, during my CBT. :unsure:
^^^^ There's the issue there! ;)

Though to be fair a double yellow means no waiting, it doesn't mean no stopping.
I might check the highway code on that one. Where does the difference between 'stopping' and 'waiting' separate? Much of the same I would have thought.
bull

Post by bull »

steve172 wrote:
Exiting the roundabout and turning left into the next exit are two separate manoeuvres and therefore require two separate uses of your indicators (i.e. turn off indicator after first manoeuvre and indicate again for the second manoeuvre). Much the same as going from lane 1 to lane 3 on a motorway, or any other junction or series of manoeuvres.

yes (thumbs), and that might be fine if drivers took the time to do that

but that's not what happened in the video, the car has its indicator on all the way through the roundabout and the roundabout exit

so theres no way for other road users to know that the car intends to turn into an entrance in the roundabout exit
boristhebold

Post by boristhebold »

bull wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:

The law doesn't change depending on whether you're powered by your legs or an engine.

It would be the cyclists fault, for exactly the same reasons that it's the motorcycle instructors fault.

the cyclist is not braking the law by been on the inside position of the road as he exits the roundabout, so how would it be the cyclist fault

its also up to car to show its intentions to other road users, and having an indicator on for the roundabout exit, does not show that the car intends to turn into an entrance in the roundabout exit

I mean, people aren't mind readers you know
Of course it would be the 'hypothetical' cyclists fault, he'd be 'undertaking' the car just as the motorcyclist tried to do. (Slightly different would be if the cyclist was exiting the roundabout and the car overtook them on the exit and then immediately turned left in front of him/her....but that isnt the case with the moron on the motorcycle)
There are thousands of roundabouts like the one in the clip and it'd be near impossible to switch your indicator off and then back on with a sufficient gap for anyone to notice. It's really simple to me, if a car is indicating left I wouldn't try to undertake it just as I cannot imagine anyone on here would overtake a car indicating right near to a right turn.
boristhebold

Post by boristhebold »

bull wrote:

so theres no way for other road users to know that the car intends to turn into an entrance in the exit
Which would be why I'd hang back and watch what they did next (my wifes car has a habit of not self cancelling its left hand indicator, you have to manually do it on occasion, I was taught to wait at a junction if a vehicle was indicting to turn in and make sure tht it started its manoeuvre before venturing out into the road for this very reason)
bull

Post by bull »

boristhebold wrote:
Which would be why I'd hang back and watch what they did next (my wifes car has a habit of not self cancelling its left hand indicator, you have to manually do it on occasion, I was taught to wait at a junction if a vehicle was indicting to turn in and make sure tht it started its manoeuvre before venturing out into the road for this very reason)

yes, but the problem is that alot of drivers start accelerating coming off a roundabout exit because their not expecting the car in front to turn into another entrance
boristhebold

Post by boristhebold »

I don't really get your point here. If you are behind someone it is up to you to observe their move/speed etc. If you cock that up for whatever reason, it's your fault. The usual scenario of following something a bit bigger than you that appears to be dawdling and then slows almost to a stop, many impatient drivers/riders look for an overtake muttering under their breath...is it a case of the driver looking for an address, having a seizure, kid running out in road etc etc. Everyone's in too much of a rush which is pretty evident with mateyboy on his motorbike who would no doubt have intercom so would have been able to tell his students that he was temporarily baulked and that he'd catch them up
bull

Post by bull »

boristhebold wrote:I don't really get your point here. If you are behind someone it is up to you to observe their move/speed etc. If you cock that up for whatever reason, it's your fault. The usual scenario of following something a bit bigger than you that appears to be dawdling and then slows almost to a stop, many impatient drivers/riders look for an overtake muttering under their breath...is it a case of the driver looking for an address, having a seizure, kid running out in road etc etc. Everyone's in too much of a rush which is pretty evident with mateyboy on his motorbike who would no doubt have intercom so would have been able to tell his students that he was temporarily baulked and that he'd catch them up

its also up to the driver in front to show his or her intentions, people aren't mind readers

lets say, your driving an HGV truck pulling a heavy load, your coming off the roundabout accelerating and going up through the gears and also looking in the mirrors to see if any traffic is along side the trailer as you exit the roundabout, when suddenly a car stops in front of you in the middle of the exit

you might find it very hard to stop that truck in a hurry,
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

steve172 wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:
steve172 wrote:My instructor once told me it was ok to stop on double yellows if she told me to, during my CBT. :unsure:
^^^^ There's the issue there! ;)

Though to be fair a double yellow means no waiting, it doesn't mean no stopping.
I might check the highway code on that one. Where does the difference between 'stopping' and 'waiting' separate? Much of the same I would have thought.
If only I had to go check the highway code, I pretty much know it by heart.

http://www.drivingtesttips.biz/no-stopp ... signs.html

Bear in mind though that you could have upright prohibition signs as well as the red or yellow lines, which prohibit loading/unloading, or setting down of passengers.

But generally if you stop on a yellow line, you are OK so long as you don't get off your bike, or sit there "waiting" for something, like a pillion passenger to arrive or to take a phone call.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
boristhebold

Post by boristhebold »

bull wrote:
boristhebold wrote:I don't really get your point here. If you are behind someone it is up to you to observe their move/speed etc. If you cock that up for whatever reason, it's your fault. The usual scenario of following something a bit bigger than you that appears to be dawdling and then slows almost to a stop, many impatient drivers/riders look for an overtake muttering under their breath...is it a case of the driver looking for an address, having a seizure, kid running out in road etc etc. Everyone's in too much of a rush which is pretty evident with mateyboy on his motorbike who would no doubt have intercom so would have been able to tell his students that he was temporarily baulked and that he'd catch them up

its also up to the driver in front to show his or her intentions, people aren't mind readers

lets say, your driving an HGV truck pulling a heavy load, your coming off the roundabout accelerating and going up through the gears and also looking in the mirrors to see if any traffic is along side the trailer as you exit the roundabout, when suddenly a car stops in front of you in the middle of the exit

you might find it very hard to stop that truck in a hurry,
I do now get your point. The car in the instructor video was signalling their intention. In the HGV scenario you mention, unless broken, the cars brake lights would signal their 'intention' to slow down or stop. Regardless of being in a 44 tonne truck with a heavy load, the driver still needs to be able to stop in the space available or he (she) is driving without due care. It really is that simple ( i used to drive 12 tonne horseboxes with 4 horses in so know all too well about driving smoothly and braking smoothly (and in good time)

Return to “VIDEOS”