Bike Instructor fail.............

Found a great video then post it up here. It doesn't have to be about bikes.
nuttynick

Re: Bike Instructor fail.............

Post by nuttynick »

Wise words Bernard! :-)
andythefinn

Post by andythefinn »

The car driver was showing his intentions obviously enough with his indicator on.. If I am about to turn left and on a good day, even right it goes on - surely clear enough to all around i'm about to turn. Whoever is behind the car whether a cyclist, motorbike, car or 40 ton truck they must all assume he is going to turn left as long as the indicator is left on ? Sure as hell I do. As someone said earlier that they cannot imagine anyone on here would overtake a car indicating right near to a right turn. Same thing. Still, we all make mistakes. Bit of a negative 1st post.. Never mind.
Good site though, to end on a positive note !
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

bull wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:
bull wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:
bull wrote:lets say, it was a cyclist going down the inside coming off the roundabout, who's fault is it then
The cyclists fault.

you might be surprised, the law is a funny thing
No, I wouldn't be surprised.

We are not talking about some other scenario with an HGV and a car, which I'm not even going to read because it's irrelevant.

Your question asked if in exactly the same situation, it was a cyclist, then who would be at fault?

The law doesn't change depending on whether you're powered by your legs or an engine.

It would be the cyclists fault, for exactly the same reasons that it's the motorcycle instructors fault.

it might surprise you, and you might see just how funny the law can be if it was a fatal accident

probably the first question to be asked, and it would be a very simple question,

and that is,

did the car check its mirrors and left side to see if it was clear on the inside before turning
Very good point as the accident happened as the car was turning left & not as it was leaving a roundabout.
At that point the motorcyclist was adjacent to the car and not necessarily undertaking the car.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

Too focused on catching up with his pupils, distracted, accident.
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Ken Shabby wrote:Too focused on catching up with his pupils, distracted, accident.
Yep. Any stress when you're on 2 wheels is dangerous.
Lightness is everything.

-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

bull wrote:
-Ralph- wrote: No Bull, it wouldn't surprise me. All these things have already been dealt with in law and by case law many times over. We know how the court would interpret this situation.

well, it might surprise you

because not all accidents are the same
Indeed, not all accidents are the same, but you asked who'd be at fault if EXACTLY THE SAME ACCIDENT had involved a cyclist instead of a motorcyclist.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
stevewatkin

Post by stevewatkin »

Just seen this.............the whole thing could have been avoided from the start if the motorcyclists were in the right road position on their approach to the R/A. They should be nearer (or in) the primary position related to their approach. Not scurrying along in the gutter.
Understanding that beside the kerb is not a good place to be would have changed the whole dynamics of this incident and most likely kept the motorcyclists out in the lane and either in front or behind the cars where they can be seen easier.
Honda CB500 (1997)

Honda CG125 (1996)

Honda C90 (2001)

Orpington, UK.
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

stevewatkin wrote:Just seen this.............the whole thing could have been avoided from the start if the motorcyclists were in the right road position on their approach to the R/A. They should be nearer (or in) the primary position related to their approach. Not scurrying along in the gutter.
Understanding that beside the kerb is not a good place to be would have changed the whole dynamics of this incident and most likely kept the motorcyclists out in the lane and either in front or behind the cars where they can be seen easier.
yep. how right you are (thumbs)
Lightness is everything.

Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

stevewatkin wrote:Just seen this.............the whole thing could have been avoided from the start if the motorcyclists were in the right road position on their approach to the R/A. They should be nearer (or in) the primary position related to their approach. Not scurrying along in the gutter.
Unfortunately - I believe the L-PLate teaching road position is in the left hand wheel tracks of a car; always putting them too far left.

I ride with 125 people as part of our club rides and they ALL hug the left side - daft as it may seem. I can't count the number of times I've seen one of them nearly taken out by cars pulling out from side roads...........

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Bernard Smith wrote:
Unfortunately - I believe the L-PLate teaching road position is in the left hand wheel tracks of a car; always putting them too far left.

I ride with 125 people as part of our club rides and they ALL hug the left side - daft as it may seem. I can't count the number of times I've seen one of them nearly taken out by cars pulling out from side roads...........
Yes, that's right. At DSA level riders aren't deemed advanced enough to figure out for themselves when they should or shouldn't be in a certain position on the road, so they are taught to stay in position 1, where it keeps them away from oncoming traffic, and accounts for the lowest common denominator.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Return to “VIDEOS”