F800 GS prang...

Found a great video then post it up here. It doesn't have to be about bikes.
fullerton

Re: F800 GS prang...

Post by fullerton »

Loggy wrote:Anyone on here lol... The brake lights on the car may have told him something!

What a knob, totally in the wrong. Hate when car drivers don't look or am i being bias lol

Steve
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Rider error.
Left indicator was going all the time (bit out of sync with the camera frame speed) & rider was attempting to go up the inside against the indicator.
Driver did swing out a line width but certainly did not swing from one lane to the other!!!!
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
steve172

Post by steve172 »

50/50 fault.

Car maintaining poor lane discipline on the roundabout and after exiting the rondabout, failing to check mirror (probably) before turning left, failed to make a new signal for tuning left into the petrol station.

Bike should not have assumed the car was changing lanes.

Based on my observations, then car made more driver errors than the motorcyclist. It appears that there is some form of mutual acceptance of 50/50 blame as you can see they shake hands afterwards, though I have no sound on my office pc so cannot comment on what words were exchanged.

Good example of why both car drivers and motorcyclists need to buck up on their skills.
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Rider error - very poor hazard anticipation.

What is more amusing is the poor riders commentary!! :laugh:

But more importantly - its just a bump and both rider and driver are uninjured.
Elle

Post by Elle »

Don't get why some folk think it's driver error or 50/50

Car, indicating left, you see the car brake with plenty of gap between the bike and car - big enough for the rider to stop. It takes a further 2 seconds when the car starts turning for the rider to realise what he's doing.
Maybe he's a novice rider & hopefully he will learn a lesson. It could have been a lot worse.

The bike is fitted with hand muffs - could these have delayed reactions to brake or use the horn?
I've used them and they do take a bit of getting used to.

btw - a flashing indicator only means the light is working :whistle:
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I can see why he thought the car had completed the left hand turn and was going over to join the right hand lane but the rider was in the wrong. I thought most people learned very early that car indictors aren't something to be believed.
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Am I the only one impressed that the car indicated his exit from the roundabout?

Fair play to the biker for putting the video of his mishap out there for us all to see.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

People need a car to enjoy a normal life, get to work, go food shopping, run kids about, go to the hairdressers, get a bikini wax, visit the nail bar, shop for shoes, go and pick up your pension at the post office, visit the grand kids, go to Harrogate for a tea dance etc...
So a lot of folk with no real aptitude or common sense drive a car, if you can keep your shit together long enough to fool an examiner you can get a driving license, it may take a few attempts but you can do it.
Plus there are a lot of folk on the road here who were born outside the UK, I don't what to speculate on the process they may have gone through to obtain their driving licence.
So, I tend to treat all car drivers with suspicion. As bikers we have to have skill sets and awareness a level above the chumps in cars.
In the situation in the clip, I would have taken the same line as the bike, but I wouldn't have committed to the undertake until the car made a positive unmistakable commitment to a right turn.
So for me, rider error. Just because we need to be better than that. The car driver did nothing really wrong, other than drive like a typical incompetent, inattentive driver, the like of which we meet by the bucket load every day.
Arthur Pint Motor

Post by Arthur Pint Motor »

SteveW wrote:People need a car to enjoy a normal life, get to work, go food shopping, run kids about, go to the hairdressers, get a bikini wax, visit the nail bar, shop for shoes, go and pick up your pension at the post office, visit the grand kids, go to Harrogate for a tea dance etc...
So a lot of folk with no real aptitude or common sense drive a car, if you can keep your shit together long enough to fool an examiner you can get a driving license, it may take a few attempts but you can do it.
Plus there are a lot of folk on the road here who were born outside the UK, I don't what to speculate on the process they may have gone through to obtain their driving licence.
So, I tend to treat all car drivers with suspicion. As bikers we have to have skill sets and awareness a level above the chumps in cars.
In the situation in the clip, I would have taken the same line as the bike, but I wouldn't have committed to the undertake until the car made a positive unmistakable commitment to a right turn.
So for me, rider error. Just because we need to be better than that. The car driver did nothing really wrong, other than drive like a typical incompetent, inattentive driver, the like of which we meet by the bucket load every day.
Spot on.

Doesn't matter whether I'm on my MTB, MC or in the car, observing any other road user in/on any sort of vehicle doing 'odd' manoeuvres like that makes me very cautious indeed.

The real problem comes when someone is driving normally and then does something completely unexpected, or if they do a doubly whammy:- I gave up road riding for about 30 years because an old duffer pulled out in front of me, I could not stop, so overtook him, then he turned right without indicating. I tried to turn inside him but couldn't. Fortunately off-road experience had taught me how to dismount dexterously and I was lucky enough not to end up under the car.
yamahafjr1300!

Post by yamahafjr1300! »

Sorry but believe this to be rider error. But at least the rider was able to get up with nothing more than a possible dented pride.
Alan..

Return to “VIDEOS”