Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
James691

The Life of a Critic

Post by James691 »

Lord knows I have fallen on my arse more than a few times :blush:

I've feared I was not good enough.

I've feared it would cause me pain.

I've feared it would end up expensive.

None of these factors have ever come close to stopping me trying - and best of all I have NEVER feared what others may think or say of my attempt. I hope this helps to inspire another.

Theodore Roosevelt.

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done."

"Criticism is necessary and useful; it is often indispensable; but it can never take the place of action, or be even a poor substitute for it. The function of the mere critic is of very subordinate usefulness. It is the doer of deeds who actually counts in the battle for life, and not the man who looks on and says how the fight ought to be fought, without himself sharing the stress and the danger."

Beautiful - never be afraid of critics.
Dancing in the moonlight
bencav

Re: The Life of a Critic

Post by bencav »

Inspiring and humbling, nothing better than written word that has the ablility to stir your soul!!
herman

Post by herman »

That was a bit random James. :) In a similar vein? The greatest trust between man and man is the trust of giving counsel.
Francis Bacon
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
James691

Post by James691 »

Only random from the outside Herman my friend :)

Liane - my much better half - has her CBT on Wednesday and was worried that a few family members may take the piss should she not gain said certificate. I love reading history and I thought of Teddy. I enjoyed reading his work again and decided to post it in case any other rider was even remotely put off from doing something in case of what others may say ;)

When counsel is sought and given from a friend, there is no greater trust. When from an on looker of past deeds it tends to diminish in both quality and value as it becomes 'very subordinate usefulness'. The counsel of strangers, I'd regard as useful but not always to be trusted and never taken to heart. ;)
Dancing in the moonlight
GOG 007

Post by GOG 007 »

I consider you as a friend, and I wish Liane good luck on Wednesday and see you both on Friday xxx
James691

Post by James691 »

And that is the reason that I hold your counsel so dear my friend :)

Liane said thank you and see you on Friday xx
Dancing in the moonlight

Return to “THE PUB”