Will

Re: Maddness on Wheels - Rallyings Craziest Years

Post by Will »

Just caught end of it is there a + 1
Bsa A10
Loggy

Post by Loggy »

BBC I Player me thinks. It was good, about the Group B cars in the 80's...
Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere

Toyota Hilux 3.0lt

Army - Bedford MJ Radar Repair Workshop
heftylump

Post by heftylump »

The cars where awesome but the spectators mental. Good programme :)
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

Some superb footage. And those drivers were my heroes .. heroine in the case of Ms Mouton(one of the very few who could handle the SWB Quattro). Such a shame that Gp B rallying had to be stopped - much of the blame has to be laid at the door of JP Ballestre for his head-in-the-sand attitude towards spectator behaviour.
Loggy

Post by Loggy »

hotbulb wrote:Some superb footage. And those drivers were my heroes .. heroine in the case of Ms Mouton(one of the very few who could handle the SWB Quattro). Such a shame that Gp B rallying had to be stopped - much of the blame has to be laid at the door of JP Ballestre for his head-in-the-sand attitude towards spectator behaviour.

Yeah, they were the Golden Years. If only they controled the spectators better? Some guys at work were saying the cars were too powerfull and were killing too many drivers, but you only had to see the reaction of the Drivers on the proramme and they loved it, I'm sure they wouldn't have had it any other way...
Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere

Toyota Hilux 3.0lt

Army - Bedford MJ Radar Repair Workshop
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

Maybe they've now gone too far controlling spectators... you can't see the GB Rally (or whatever they now call the RAC)except by paying a hell of a lot to visit a "spectator" stage. On the other hand I remember watching in the Forest of Dean in the 70's/early 80's, and seeing families with pushchairs and toddlers walking up the middle of the stage ,only moving to the side when the car hove into sight. (And I've leapt more than once into a water-filled ditch during night stages when the lights appeared around the bend!)
simonw

Post by simonw »

I used to live just above the start to the Welsh mountain stage of the Lombard RAC rally and we used to walk up the track, ducking out the way when a car approached! If I remember rightly, Tony Pond had a 650bhp Metro, which went like sh*t off a shovel!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Yes they were the golden years used to follow rallying all over the country in the 80`s and to stand a few foot away from those things was something special, stages were free then and the night driving between stages could get intresting :blink:

Here`s hoping that a certain Valentino Rossi takes it up full time when he retires from bikes, I might just start going to stages again :cheer:
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

We used to follow the "proper" RAC Rally all over the place sleep in the car for 4/5 nights those were the days I've never been to the Wales Rally GB but I would've loved to see them go round the Great Orme last year like the old RAC used to but didn't notice they were going there until they day it was on these days I go to the Roger Albert Clark Rally to watch proper rally cars & I've joined the Roger Clark Motor Club to keep my interest in rallying going. I went to the Rally de Condroz in Belgium in 2010 rallying is still good on the continent if you're into more classic rallying.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***

Return to “THE PUB”