Riding offroad alone...

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
HP2Mav

Riding offroad alone...

Post by HP2Mav »

So what are your thoughts on this?

Personally, riding with friends is safer and more fun - but my life makes it hard to plan riding with friends... so I ride a fairly regularly on my own, nothing too serious but is a different sort of challenge... it certainly focuses the mind, especially on a big bike!

So what about you? Any of you venture off road on your own?
CRAIGREVO

Re: Riding offroad alone...

Post by CRAIGREVO »

Id say its the same as road riding on your own, its still great fun but always better/safer in a group.
On the other hand you are more likely to show off and get hurt in a group.

We should try organizing a monthly ABR ride so people know in advance what day it will be.
dusi

Post by dusi »

Prefer to mainly ride on me own, Mr Grumpy ;)
africajim

Post by africajim »

I quite often ride alone, nothing wrong with that, I just take my camera and off I go. Whether it be on or offroad, I tend to take care. As long as you don't take silly chances you should be fine.
Honda, the power of dreams.
HP2Mav

Post by HP2Mav »

Well it's refreshing to hear people be so relaxed about it.

In other places, I've heard people be very judgmental about it which I find pretty annoying!

As you've said - as long as your sensible and take precautions (like making sure someone knows approx where you are when you should be back!) it's not that dangerous.
herman

Post by herman »

I go out alone on occaision but take it steady as has been said. If you are that concerned the good old route plan left with loved ones is a good idea although this has backfired on me once as i met an old friend in a petrol station and sat jawing for an hour,wife was not happy when she spotted me 2 mins from home sat with a coffee :whistle: I run with mooses f&b so dont have puncture worries any more.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Mark Manley

Post by Mark Manley »

I generally ride on or off road on my own as I like to stay at my own pace, ususally slower than most others, but will concede that there is a social aspect missing from this and picking your bike up on your own can be no fun.
A wise man is one who doesn't make the same mistake once.
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

As an exile, ( my friends are all back in London )and none of them venture off road anyway, I've pretty much always been alone.
I did have a few rides with the Surrey TRF years ago, which was fun, but you tend to go at their pace and their prefered destinations, so in the end I just ended up prefering to be alone.
I wouldn't call it dangerous, well not especially so, and the only trouble that I've had was a blown head gasket on the old KTM.... TOUCHES WOOD, AND FONDLES A RABBITS FOOT!
I do wish sometimes that there was someone to act as official photographer though, the pix get boring with just the bike and the landscape.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
scouse

Post by scouse »

Ah the Bikers Holiday Snaps... my bike... my bike amd landscape...my bike and another my bike and landscape... :D
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

Also like the idea of a monthly ABR ride. Dusi your desire to ride alone... is that something you've always had or just recently ?? :) (after your ride with me!)
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Return to “THE PUB”