I Don’t Want More Women Bikers.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
backofbeyond

Re: I Don’t Want More Women Bikers.

Post by backofbeyond »

Probably more than one biker who's swapped sides, Al. Michelle Duff was second in the 1965 250cc world championship, just behind Phil Read, but not as Michelle.

wikipedia link

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery
OB1

Post by OB1 »

My sister taught me to ride because she is 16 months older than me and was able to get her provisional licence before me. My Mum used to ride all the way up to when she took her car driving test when she was in her early 30s. My Grandma only stopped riding at 65 because she hit some ice and broke her collar bone! Grandma is only 4'6" now but back then she was a lofty 4'11"! :woohoo:

When I met my ex-wife, she already had her bike licence that she had taken in Hong Kong. Unfortunately she struggled with most bikes besides cruiser styled ones due to her only being 5'3" and having short legs.

My current girlfriend had never been on a bike until she met me just over 6 months ago. Her second ride on the pillion was from Ipswich to Lincoln (around 130 miles). We met with Julia Sanders at a recent IAM talk where she was able to ask all of the womens' hygiene questions that Bonniebird mentioned... :blush: Although our long-term sights are set on a RTW trip, we are thinking about something like the Enduro India trip through the Himalayas as an introduction to her long distance travelling adventures. Within 6 months, she has gone from not even thinking about motorcycles to planning her test and travelling the World!
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Bigtim

Post by Bigtim »

Good Thread James and raises a few intersting points I personally hadn't considered.

Unfortunately there is always a small minority of both men and women who don't do themselves or their gender any favours, there is also always an element of people who will discriminate other people purely because of their religion, skin colour size and not forgetting bike choice etc. etc.

I personally enjoy the company of all bikers be they male, female regardless of what they ride or indeed if they are just pillions. Let's have more of them I say.

Laura (Bonniebird) I do enjoy your straight to the point, matter of fact no bullshit approach to life. Good on you.

Tim
Bianchi

Post by Bianchi »

i think if women want to ride bikes they will i dont think it has a great deal todo with what men think ... some women are not interested at all some enjoy a ride with there partner some like the idea of it but the crap weather puts them off ...its not like a car where they really need one most bikes are just a toy and for alot of women its a toy they can do without ....

2p

cheers

Dave
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Bianchi wrote:i think if women want to ride bikes they will i dont think it has a great deal todo with what men think ... some women are not interested at all some enjoy a ride with there partner some like the idea of it but the crap weather puts them off ...its not like a car where they really need one most bikes are just a toy and for alot of women its a toy they can do without ....

2p

cheers

Dave
And does that not also apply to men? Why are men different in that regard? They are still toys which we could do without..
OB1

Post by OB1 »

A motorcycle has never been a toy for me: it has always been my primary means of transport. I was riding bikes for seven years before I bought my first car, I went through university with only a motorcycle and a push bike as transport and now, at the age of 44, I only have a motorcycle as transport.

To me, a car is a luxury item that I cannot currently justify owning. Yes, they keep you warm and dry in shitty weather but, for me, they are seldom more than 25% occupied where as I fill 50% of the seating on a motorcycle! :woohoo: What is the point in dragging a couple of tonnes of metal box around when it cannot get through the traffic when I can be having fun on a bike?

To some, a bike is just a weekend play thing but to me, it is my transport, my need and my passion.

Slightly off-topic, I know, but surely that is the same regardless of my gender?
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
dave_ac

Post by dave_ac »

My girlfriend pointed out there are less women bike riders than men because they (females) wanted to leave us an activity we could enjoy, get dirty and not feel inferior which we would when we found out women are better.....

I know my place (in the shed at the bottom of the garden when she has visitors)
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

You're right OB1. My point was to address the comment "they're just toys". I like offroad cars and I have one because I like to do trips with it, same reason I have a bike but also because for commuting it's just so much simpler, faster, easier, cheaper than a car. The same may of course apply to woman/women riders and some may just have them purely as toys, and why not?
Selous

Post by Selous »

Quite an intense Question,
My mother rode an Enfield During the War, no one battered an eye lid, so she told me years ago, any one that could would own a bike as i ot was 1 of the cheapest forms of transport.

As for Bonniebird & our other lady's, you missed HU 2011 they don't have a lady's only talk but a couples talk, which most of your questions are answered.

Or for the more delicate lady would would rather not ask any of 'them' questions in public, HU have a DVD set called achievable dream, ( you can buy individually as well) 1 of the DVDs is called ladies on the loose, It mentions about contreception tampons mooncups & differant types of undies etc.
or just go to HU Website forum (ladies section) ditto

BTW Bonniebird my GF use the contraceptive implant, for medical reasons & don't have any periods as all, her words to me where, If I had known this before I would of had the implant done years ago (they apparently last 3 years)

I personly think it is a good thing seeing more people be they men or women riding, more the merrier, more people more voice

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
Bonniebird

Post by Bonniebird »

dave_ac wrote:My girlfriend pointed out there are less women bike riders than men because they (females) wanted to leave us an activity we could enjoy, get dirty and not feel inferior which we would when we found out women are better.....

I know my place (in the shed at the bottom of the garden when she has visitors)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Return to “THE PUB”