Just a thought what's the furthest north anyone has been on a bike?????

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Mr Free Market

Re: Just a thought what's the furthest north anyone has been on a bike?????

Post by Mr Free Market »

Errrrrrr........... Didcot !! :laugh:
Over a long enough timeline, everyones survival rate drops to zero
Jerry Schaefer

Post by Jerry Schaefer »

I am riding from Florida to the Yukon & NWT in June/July of 2019. Don’t know where you live but would like friend(s) to ride with. Riding the Dempster Hwy to the Arctic Ocean
ullukk

Post by ullukk »

Orkney for me, like a few have mentioned on here Norway is on my bucket list as well, after reading a fair few ride reports on Norway I'm not sure if I'd go as far as Nordkapp though but riding to the Arctic circle is something I've fancied for a long time. Just for the record Dingle in Ireland is furthest West for me, as for South and East, somewhere in Portugal and somewhere in Germany, hoping to get over to Croatia next September so my furthest East should change.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Nordkapp for me in 2014.
Furthest south is Ushuaia in 2017.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

We rode up to the Artic Circle last July and had a wild camp about 20 miles in before having to turn back and head
for home.I'm not really interested in going to Nordkapp just to ride back down the same road but if the Scotland-Norway ferry ever comes back,which is being talked about,I'd love to go to the Lofoten Islands
FB_IMG_1545664639218.jpg
FB_IMG_1545664639218.jpg (70.44 KiB) Viewed 3395 times
FB_IMG_1545664758060.jpg
FB_IMG_1545664758060.jpg (92.72 KiB) Viewed 3395 times
FB_IMG_1545664831462.jpg
FB_IMG_1545664831462.jpg (95.51 KiB) Viewed 3395 times
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

The Nordkapp for me too, in 2015. Don’t be put off by having to come back south via the same route, the E6. I rode up the east side on Norway and didn’t join the E6 until Hell. Followed the E6 basically the rest of the way north, then returned south via the Lofotens, the Trollvegan and Geranger. Made for a great round trip. The only real pain is the two day ride each way just to get to Norway. Worth it though.
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

Nordkapp June 2017. Fantastic, great weather with loads of snow lying about slowly melting in the sunshine. Nordkapp centre is touristy and pricey (as is everything in Norway) but worth it to get as far as you can go.

About 20miles North of Fairbanks, Alaska in 2015 before smoke from forest fires and shite weather turned us around.

Saxa Vord Radar Station on the Shetland Isles in 2014 (might have been 2013). This is the most northerly road in the UK but does involve a bit of trespass on MOD land. You could go about 1/2 mile further across boggy moorland before you reached the cliffs. Then you truly would be as far north as you can go in the UK. (there is a rocky outcrop about another 1 mile on with Muckle Flugga lighthouse on but you aint going to get a bike there).
Landsurfer

Post by Landsurfer »

Cape Wrath ... Cycled from St Andrews in February .. then along the "top" to JOG then back over Altneharra to Inverness.. then back to St A. Snow, snow and more more snow .... bliss ... but bloody cold .... We camped in our Andre Jamet 3 man tent ... all 3 of us ... drank from streams and cooked on one of the first Trangia Stoves ... i still have it .....
Go Out. Take Risks. Live.
“ No chains shall sully thee, Thou soul of love and brav’ry “
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Nordkap isnt the furthest North you can go in Norway, it is Sletness ( a few °further North ....and it's free unlike the expensive tourist-laden rip-off a few Km to the West.

Don't follow sign posts paid for by tourist destinations.......use your maps :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sletness-Lighthouse.

Good camping on the grass next to the sea :)

Happy New Year to all!
new 2 adventure

Post by new 2 adventure »

Back in 2004 on route to Nordcap in Norway I met a cyclist heading south. He was on a 4 years cycle around the world. He told me that the only place he had been that he said had a more wild feeling to it compared to the north of Norway was from The Yukon north to Alaska and Prudhoe Bay.

It took me 8 years to find out that he was right.

Norway is my second favorite country to ride a motorcycle through. Only beaten by The Alaskan Highway . I'm not sure which is the furthest North , Prudhoe Bay or Nordcap.

I will add the View at Nordcap is better then the oil refinery at PD Bay.

Happy Travels .

Return to “THE PUB”