LIBYA

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
NDC.

Libya 2012 (ROUGH ROADS)

Post by NDC. »

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g2 ... tions.html

~intresting place to go in 2012 or should i give it a bit?

You Tube Xtra Rough Road Channel

NDC.

Re: LIBYA

Post by NDC. »

Sorry Redmurty, did not see ur post ;)

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g293806-L ... tions.html

~intresting place to go in 2012 or should i give it a bit?

NDC.

Post by NDC. »

Louisdut wrote:Have been to Libya but didn't think it was that great :huh:

But a trip around the Med Tunisia, Libya, Egypt around to Turkey and home might be easyer in the next few years ?

Louis
You won't get a photo like that again

Louisdut

Post by Louisdut »

Redmurty wrote:I was thinking of the ancient ruins and also a lap of the Med. cheers Spud ;)
Cool lots to see in that department its just not my thing

NDC. wrote:You won't get a photo like that again
But plesaed I did go and would be great to go back and see the change :)

Louis
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

Ive been to Libya four times in the early 2000s with a previous job. Amazing country and very friendly people. A little bit of arabic goes a very long way. I hope there can be friendlier relations and an easing of entry and internal travel. I think the whole thing about no independent travel or travelling with a "minder" came about after theft or destruction of prehistoric rock art. Id like to go back one day.
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Domsday

Libya 2012 (ROUGH ROADS)

Post by Domsday »

Hmm, now the common enemy has gone I imagine the various factions/tribes are now vying for position. Hopefully for the ordinary Libyan it will a quick and peaceful process...
KTM '08 990 Adventure

KTM '03 450 EXC
Dick Dastardly

Post by Dick Dastardly »

Redmurty wrote:Will Libya be safe to travel to now ? cheers Spud ;)

Doubt that it will be safe for a few years.

All the tribes will begin fighting for their share of the oil money, just like the NATO countries have been.
" Ride hard, fall softly"
prooney377

Post by prooney377 »

Redmurty wrote:Will Libya be safe to travel to now ? cheers Spud ;)
Is anyone actually sure it was Gadaffi that was shot? For my money the photos look like it could have been Sylvester Stallones mum on holiday and mistaken for the dictator.....
Why? Why not?
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Really hope the situation improves rapidly as have been planning a top to tail trip of Africa and have had to change my route several times now due to unrest.

The cost of the Egypt CDP was the last straw and have now decided to travel tail to top instead using West via Angola, DRC and Congo. Much cheaper but more technical I believe. Its a shame as Egypt hold the key to the rest of Africa and they know it hence the 800 %.

Let's hope things improve for all us adventurers. See you all soon.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Richard Simpson wrote:Heard an interesting interview with a guy from the Libyan Transitional Authority on the radio a few weeks back.

He said Libya had no intention of allowing itself to be ruined by mass tourism, and they would never allow sun, sand and sangria type package holidays.

He did point out that they would welcome visitors who were interested in the country's many UNESCO world heritage sites (Roman ruins etc), and its massive unspoiled coastline and who would respect its environment and culture.

I for one hope that they stick to this.

I think that there are still loads of unexploded mines, shells etc in the desert from WW2, let alone the recent events.

on the subject of which, what happens to all those bullets that get fired in the air. A .50 bullet surely has potential to kill or injure if it lands on your head from maximum altitude?

Anyone here know the facts and figures?
The religious leaders (NOT THE GOVERMENT) have put a ban on firing into the air as it was killing more people than the actual fighting. Personally (and I hope I'm wrong) I think it will get very nasty over there. Why hasn't NATO stopped operations ? who they going to bomb if people start fighting each other, who's oil interests are they protecting ? cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself

Return to “THE PUB”