Anyone with heart issues?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Paul_C

Anyone with heart issues?

Post by Paul_C »

There's a fledgling Facebook group aimed to mutually support riders experiencing cardiac issues. Nothing fancy or professional, just a few riders trying to do their bit. Those of us with issues know it can take its toll both physically and mentally. Getting out on two wheels is great therapy.
Facebook group search Cardiacbikers
Instagram to show what you're up to #cardiacbikers
Thanks.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Godspeed

Re: Anyone with heart issues?

Post by Godspeed »

Good stuff. I’m not on Facebook but if anyone ever needs some advice or help I will do what I can.
Just shout 👍
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Not on Facebook or anything but I do have 'lived experience' (gag!) of having a pacemaker installed, and am happy to talk on here (via PM if necessary).
Mine's been since Jan 2020, and it's still going strong if anyone's interested.
I'd point out to people that heart problems are often attributed to an unhealthy life. Well, I live in the countryside, walk dogs twice a day, eat mostly fresh fruit and veg with very little meat, never smoked, and drink only small amounts. There's no history of heart trouble in my family so far as I know (they mostly died of smoking). Yet the electrical connections in my heart just broke down like an old wiring harness. So, it can happen to anyone.
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

Similar Richard, although I just needed a stent fitting. Exercised all of my life, eat healthily, don't smoke, very moderate alcohol. Hints of a family history but nothing considered by the doctors to be significant at the time. I noticed some chest pain when swimming hard. Luckily I got referred and a very narrow artery was spotted, quickly fixed with a stent.
Keep on riding, but get checked.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Just to add to that...the first sign I had of anything wrong apart from struggling to walk up steep hills, was an occasional 'pins and needles' sensation in the top of my scalp.
Then I started episodes of feeling faint. Then I blacked out and had what looked like a minor fit.
My wife took me to the doctors, they did a cardiogram, and it produced a 'mad scribbles' graph. The electrical connection between the two halves of my heart had broken down. I saw a locum GP, who recognised it instantly because her husband had the same thing.
"I'm going to pack you off to hospital and they'll slap a pacemaker in for you."
g00ner

Post by g00ner »

Been reset twice due to Arythmia, no pacemaker yet
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

After reading some of the comments above I'm going back on the Woodbine's, making sure I get through at least a bottle (of whiskey) a day, cancelling my gym membership and eating steak everyday instead of muesli for breakfast.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

heart?? ... yeah !! ... I broke mine a few times.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

After reading the posts I notice there is no real mention of stress. This is a silent killer, after many years it will creep up on you. Even exercise, healthy eating and life style can’t always fend it off. The stress of always wanting to do the best, achieve the highest standards and get the most work done in your day comes at a high price. Especially these days!

Return to “THE PUB”