ULEZ Expansion to M25 August 2023

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
redbikejohn

Re: ULEZ Expansion to M25 August 2023

Post by redbikejohn »

So took my wife's 53 reg 200bhp John Cooper Works mini for its mot today. Got home and for a laugh I checked if its ulez compliant........ it is !? Bloody thing has poor mpg ie half that of my 318d and she pays loads in tax but it compliant. Oh well I can use her car if I need to for ant reasons after August.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I get the impression there's something of a backlash looming against the ULEZ.
The worst air in London is the Underground, followed by that inside people's houses...cooking, cleaning, cosmetics, and (irony), air-fresheners!
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:13 pm I get the impression there's something of a backlash looming against the ULEZ.
The worst air in London is the Underground, followed by that inside people's houses...cooking, cleaning, cosmetics, and (irony), air-fresheners!
(yes .. perfumes, air fresheners, domestic cleaning agents, personal deodorants, home furnishings, artificial sheet materials etc etc are very damaging to human health .. and nearer to humans, and over a longer period than any vehicle pollution )

I have been wondering how long it will be before the people rise up and demand a freedom of movement in their own country and cities, without government interference,
Clean air is great .. innit .. good to breath it in and stuff ... But they need to target the highest polluters .. big deisel engines and car deisel engines ..
To be fair, when i go into any town or city, I am literally gagging on the fumes .... from diesels .... and something needs to be done! .. by the government .. its their `job` ... but ffs target the right people/corporations etc,... at source ... not cash cow the city Users.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Truth is there are multiple sources of air pollution in the urban environment, and as far as particulates from road traffic are concerned, the biggest source of them is now abrasion (tyres, brakes and the road surface itself) rather than engine exhausts.
Tyres and brakes are included in the forthcoming Euro 7 emissions standards!
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Aah right .. so tyres and brakes are going to be banned? .. Great idea ! Not so long ago, brake shoe linings, and probably disc pads were part made of asbestos . I used to blow the shoe area out by mouth, .. and get a lung full back in the face lol. So can only agree with the change. But there's loads of dangerous stuff in everyday use we still are in contact with. I wonder what changes there will be to tyres , pads, road surfaces etc, as even EVs will still need them?

Of course the solution will be .. less use !! Less use by the lower classes, of course. Kettle the working populace into zones, restrict the movement of cash cow's in their fields but let them out for one afternoon per week on a costly restricted drive out. Work from home, but allow an evening walk, Not lockdown of course, people must seem to have their freedoms.

This may seem paranoid talk, but what other direction is there, as the EU still influences uk way of life, as its good for us .. trouble is, they got a point, as far as pollution is concerned.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

There seems to be a backlash forming, against government and local authority authoritarian rule .. possible ban of log fires, crackdown of freedoms, bans on certain vehicles , raising costs of fuels snd energies, raising taxes ,politician's sleeze snd corruption etc .. there will be small changes, change of government etc .. but, overall, little will change.
(In terms of us-and-them)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

PS .. "an eglishmans home is his castle" ... ha ha
tell the gas companies that.
So who really owns the houses we spend our life paying for?
What's this got to do with ulez?
Figure it out !!
Control
Richard Simpson Mark II

Brembo has launched a range of 'Green' brake pads...nothing to do with the old Ferodo Green brake-linings if anyone remembers them.

https://www.brembo.com/en/company/news/ ... kes-brembo

That article is from 2019, and the product is on sale now.

Last time I put new pads in the KTM 950, EBC offered a choice of the sintered metal ones, or a resin-based environmental product billed as 'unsuitable for track use'.

I've previously had problems with front discs warping with the sintered metal product even though I'm not the last of the late brakers, so went for the resin kind. And they are fine. The only track I ride the KTM on is the stone one to my house!
Richard Simpson Mark II

the ULEZ was on Radio 4 at lunchtime.
As ever, the BBC were superficially 'fair', but there was no suggestion that pollution came from anywhere other than vehicles.
The fact that air quality in London was bad before the first diesel-engine appeared in automotive use, and is better now, was not raised.
Nor were the particulates emitted from illegal woodburners, not the NOx and particulates from cooking etc etc.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

yeah ... everything seems to be biased these days. Perhaps they always were. But i find it insulting how obviously tilted views are these days .. usually for political and financial gain.
We all know about Dicken's times, and the industrial filth and pollution of Britain, and to be fair, its good that things are improving. The Thames was a sewer, and the East End took the brunt of of westerly air fallout from belching factories etc. I have seen my local areas clean up drastically and it is welcome of course.
But climate proponents freely admit that they concentrate on portraying the worst areas .. fires, floods, snows, avalanches, mud slides, gas explosions ... yes even gas explosions shown on screen as down to human cause of global warming. Surely even these film extremists must realise that the common public will eventually begin to question the biased scenes they see on tv etc.
Yes, pursue the real causes of pollution .. high particulate engine emitters , over-nitrates on farmlands , chemical sprays , toxic nerve agents as pesticides , water board effluent into rivers and the sea , additives to drinking water , illegal stoves in smokeless areas , noise pollution from wind turbines , unfiltered toxins from coal and steel plants , diesel lorries and busses , mining for scarce materials in foreign lands , dumped radiation mud in estuaries , and thrown away old copies of abr ... arrrrgh
but .. make the polluters pay, or change their practices ... not use it as an excuse to impose stealth taxes on already overburdened common people.

Return to “THE PUB”