Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Cold Weather tips?

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Thermals from Mountain Warehouse
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

Not kit related but I always have a can of winter tyre grip (liquid snow chains) in the top box. I have ridden on wet ice with this stuff and it does what it says on the tin. Handy to have if you get caught out in snow or by black ice.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Riding out on half day trips is not so critical but for multi day touring I work on:-
Base layers/thermals, thin socks+thick socks, puffer jacket (traps warm air), three layer adventure suit and finally a windstopper/rain suit over the top .......... remove layers to suit changing conditions. On my hands I wear thin gloves with heated grips and big handguards.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

didn't know u could get remote control heated vest .. the thought of wires always put me off .. but my bank manager would never approve of the purchase anyway.
Warm hands are essential ... probably the most noticeable thing. gloves.. gortex is good.
I have bark buster type hand protectors, but been meaning to add bits to make them more enveloping.
Larger screen? .. not sure, but defo need better wind protection on my naked. may do leg shield thingies as well? feet get really cold.. i often place them on the engine sides.
base layers are really good. even the nylon ones.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Paul_C wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:36 pm Electric jacket and gloves wired to the bike. They save you having to wear loads of layers. I use Gerbring.
Seconded.... I thought heated grips were good until I got heated gloves - using their integral batteries for shorter rides or wired to the bike for longer rides.
Thedktor

Post by Thedktor »

Hey Gary, I have discussed this in the past, a link below. I'm not sure if everyone understands that some of us simply can't generate enough heat and need some assistance! My hands in particular I just can't keep warm even with good gloves and muffs, and my Gerbing heated gloves have been a complete game-changer.

If you have heated grips then get a USB powered vest if you don't want to wire anything into the bike. They really help and can be used round the house, working on the bike etc so very versatile.

https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/vi ... 0&start=10
- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

looks a good jacket,Steve 8-) 8-) 8-)

I am lucky in having good circulation, and rarely need more than plenty of fleeces and a good body warmer. etc.
in fact i tend to overheat ... I suppose all that gear i wear ....
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Was bloomin freezing today, had to stop for a warm up, very nice it was too :D
20230208_123231[1].jpg
20230208_123231[1].jpg (108.1 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
Its a trick............get an Axe
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Aiye.. a wee dramm ta keep ye warrm, no dubtt :lol:
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

As already said...a waterproof jacket, over a normal jacket even if it it isn't raining, keeps out a lot of the wind chill...

...and those Wonderpax pouch warmers that you 'snap' and rub together are great to quickly warm up your hands or feet when you stop.

As an aside, I bought some at the bike show for £10 and they are meant to work 5,000 times but mine packed up after about 50 times...others have said the same thing...I think I was 'taken in' by the very attractive sales lady on their stand...who wasn't wearing a lot of clothes... :oops: :lol:
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone

Return to “THE PUB”