Cold Weather tips?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
garyboy

Cold Weather tips?

Post by garyboy »

Tips on dealing with cold or wet weather riding? .. with recommendations?

I got naked, so feel it a lot ..
the cold,I mean, on my non faired motorcycle lol.
I wear ...
Chest plate .. hard foam cut to shape.
Kidney belt .. just bought, very good for core warmth.
Silk gloves .. well, if I could find 'em.
Heated grips.. essential.
Hand guards. .. must improve them tho.
Waterproof jacket, or over jacket.
Knee guards.

Any more??? Recommendations??
Billy Bananahead

Re: Cold Weather tips?

Post by Billy Bananahead »

garyboy wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:53 am Tips on dealing with cold or wet weather riding? .. with recommendations?

Yeah. Don't do it. :idea:
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

garyboy wrote:Tips on dealing with cold or wet weather riding? .. with recommendations?

I got naked, so feel it a lot ..
the cold,I mean, on my non faired motorcycle lol.
I wear ...
Chest plate .. hard foam cut to shape.
Kidney belt .. just bought, very good for core warmth.
Silk gloves .. well, if I could find 'em.
Heated grips.. essential.
Hand guards. .. must improve them tho.
Waterproof jacket, or over jacket.
Knee guards.

Stay in
Turn the fire on and adjust it upwards Image
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Indeed that has been my cunning strategy until very recently.. but I have found that this causes my biking gear to shrink, mostly around mid regions, and to deepen the cabin fever lurgy, which can increase screaming madness and fat deposits as well as decrease bone density and muscle mass. which is OK of course.
Then I remembered the well known saying "there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing " .. but discounted it immediately, when arthritis loomed and shaking chills set in.
But, driven by insanity, the screaming habajabas, and enough cash over Xmas to buy a tank of expensive petroleum products, I .. er .. actually.. went out on me motoCickle.
Faak me .. it was even better than I ever remember .. and , yeah, I wasn't even that cold.

Just wondering how other occasional intrepid explorets manage .. just in case I go venture again.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

simple waterproof over jackets work well, silk inner gloves a little help, put all gloves someplace warm exhaust whatever when you stop, merino wool is worth the money thin layers best, hot fluids cafe, cooker, flask whatever, hard armour for knees. a big screen is a big help. shorter journey legs on smaller lower average speed roads. stand up on the pegs and do a bit of dancing before the feet get cold. remember to hold the (heated) grips when possible normally many of us will have a finger or two on the levers. you need air between you and your kit so you may want different kit for the cold, bigger size jacket boots etc. get off walk about if need be even push the bike a bit but try to avoid sweating too much, keep expectation sensible a moderate distance ride more enjoyable? From my experience it is possible to ride most winter (temperatures) in this country (Wales) for moderate length road rides. Proper trail riding I find quite difficult in the cold, as I have poor blood circulation so I struggle with feet and hands getting too cold and proper adv/trail/tar riding--kit mix is very difficult to sort. Winter road riding can be great see more, less foliage,traffic,people etc more technical challenges leaves mud etc my thing anyway. On the trail its more challenging but often too much for mortals (me) on big girls, often more fun than summer if you can make it work on smaller bikes hoping to do a little splashing tomorrow or Thursday myself. Happy riding/ New Year all.
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

Electrically heated clothing.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

bikenav wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:57 pm simple waterproof over jackets work well, silk inner gloves a little help, put all gloves someplace warm exhaust whatever when you stop, merino wool is worth the money thin layers best, hot fluids cafe, cooker, flask whatever, hard armour for knees. a big screen is a big help. shorter journey legs on smaller lower average speed roads. stand up on the pegs and do a bit of dancing before the feet get cold. remember to hold the (heated) grips when possible normally many of us will have a finger or two on the levers. you need air between you and your kit so you may want different kit for the cold, bigger size jacket boots etc. get off walk about if need be even push the bike a bit but try to avoid sweating too much, keep expectation sensible a moderate distance ride more enjoyable? From my experience it is possible to ride most winter (temperatures) in this country (Wales) for moderate length road rides. Proper trail riding I find quite difficult in the cold, as I have poor blood circulation so I struggle with feet and hands getting too cold and proper adv/trail/tar riding--kit mix is very difficult to sort. Winter road riding can be great see more, less foliage,traffic,people etc more technical challenges leaves mud etc my thing anyway. On the trail its more challenging but often too much for mortals (me) on big girls, often more fun than summer if you can make it work on smaller bikes hoping to do a little splashing tomorrow or Thursday myself. Happy riding/ New Year all.
Plenty of good tips there 8-)
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

Electric jacket and gloves wired to the bike. They save you having to wear loads of layers. I use Gerbring and think the remote controller is great, saves having to fiddle with the thing on the wire and easy to adjust on the move.
I had a bike a few years ago with a heated seat. That worked well but, especially in the rain, it often felt like I may have followed through.
A good fairing works well too.
Be strong enough to stop.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
johnnyboy

Post by johnnyboy »

bar muffs,
they may look crap but make a real difference when out riding.
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

If, like me all your kit is in the garage - I bring it in the night before I ride - takes the chill off. leave boots beside a radiator & pop the gloves on top for 15 minutes before you head off (during breakfast/cup of coffee). A warm base layer (thermal) and good quality high socks essential. A good body warmer under your jacket also makes a big difference. Lobster claw gloves with thermal liner gloves underneath for really cold weather make a difference too. A neck tube that is big enough to go over y head and still do its job on the neck is a necessity too. A spare fleece/jacket, gloves and waterproofs stashed away too & a warm hat for when you stop

Return to “THE PUB”