Cleaning an old Camelbak

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Scott_rider

Cleaning an old Camelbak

Post by Scott_rider »

Do Camelbak reservoirs have a 'shelf' life?

Mine has been sitting unused in a cupboard for 7 years and so far I've flushed it through a handful of times using 'Steradent' denture cleaning tablets (which apparently kill 99.9% of viruses) as that was all I could think of to buy to clean it.

It's a 2 litre reservoir and a Camelbak replacement is £50 which I'm loathe to spend...the rucksack its self is still A1...or maybe another cheaper reservoir would fit if this one shouldn't be used?
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
diggermanbob

Re: Cleaning an old Camelbak

Post by diggermanbob »

I had the same problem, I took the bladder out turned it inside out and washed it in hot soapy water , then flushed and sterilised , the pipe wasn't easy to clean but got it done in the end ,
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Replace the tube connecting and mouth part....then leave in freezer for hen not used ...kills everything and is fresh for next use ..mines over 10 years old just replaced tube once...there are other camelbak reservoirs ..worth the money...also they can be used in other backpacks..

I've a army camp for trails and a larger one for touring with storage use same 2 ltr reservoir and cap..
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

I echo the replies above, had mine 10+ years and still going strong. I wash the bladder out, use a length of cord to push/pull through the tube and then soak the lot in Milton sterilizing tablets before use.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
bennewham

Post by bennewham »

Once cleaned and dry, store it in the freezer to prevent the same issues. If you only use water and store it in that way it will last for years.
Heff

Post by Heff »

Yep, same here, I use a small amount of Milton liquid, flush it through several times then into the freezer. Flush it out again before use

Can't go wrong, as already mentioned above ;)
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

My experience.

Use water only..flavoured/energy drink leaves residues that bacteria will love! I rinse mine out with a very weak diluted solution of household bleach prior to storage and then before use. Rinse throughly with fresh water before refilling. There might be a slight taste of swimming-pool, but it won't kill you. Water can also be put to other uses...ie refilling a radiator or washing a wound.

I'd beware of using a freezer as a means of sterilisation...freezing can kill some life forms (by rupturing cell membranes) but is also used to preserve others (frozen embryos as an example), that then return to life on thawing.

Others will obviously have different experience, this is just what works for me.

Camelbak do a very long thin bottlebrush for cleaning the tube.
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

We used to use chlorine tablets, dissolved in water, for cleaning bottling machines and water purification. Bromine will also work.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Thanks for the replies guys 8-) 8-) . I've tried to clean it about half-a-dozen times this week and it's still looking dirty which may or may not be just discolouration. Anyway, I've decided to err on the side of caution and bought a new reservoir from Amazon for £20. I don't think one of my last outings on the Berkshire Downs in 2015 has helped - I strayed off-piste and submerged myself and the bike in a farmer's slurry pit (which I thought was a big puddle) :oops: . God knows what went into the Camelbak tube... :shock: .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Scott_rider wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:16 pm Thanks for the replies guys 8-) 8-) . I've tried to clean it about half-a-dozen times this week and it's still looking dirty which may or may not be just discolouration. Anyway, I've decided to err on the side of caution and bought a new reservoir from Amazon for £20. I don't think one of my last outings on the Berkshire Downs in 2015 has helped - I strayed off-piste and submerged myself and the bike in a farmer's slurry pit (which I thought was a big puddle) :oops: . God knows what went into the Camelbak tube... :shock: .
As said you can get a new bladder and hose from most decent camping shops (probably your easiest option)
or
go to your local pub and ask the landlord for a small amount of their beer line cleaner basically it is a food safe bleach needs to be well flushed though,
once clean best idea is to rinse clean after every use and then store in your freezer until needed.

Return to “THE PUB”