Insurance extras - beware

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Scott_rider

Insurance extras - beware

Post by Scott_rider »

I renewed my bike insurance in February and bought 2 extras at the same time - UK and EU breakdown/repatriation cover for £62; and excess protection/legal expenses for £39.

I changed my bike in March but the existing insurance company wouldn't cover the new bike so I had to switch insurance companies.

To my surprise, I didn't get a refund for the 2 extras and had to buy them again for the full price just 6 weeks later. :o

To add insult to injury, the policies that I bought for a second time are with exactly the same companies as the first time :shock: .

What I hadn't realised is that the 'extras' aren't considered to be separate contracts and can't be transferred, even though you get a different policy number and a contract with a different provider for each one.

Bummer... :( :(
Last edited by Scott_rider on Mon May 23, 2022 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Tonibe63

Re: Insurance extras - beware

Post by Tonibe63 »

They're much easier to spot when they wear a striped jumper and a mask :evil: .
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I took a bike 'off cover' and the nice man at CN said he would forego the charge for a material change to the policy, so no cash changed hands.

I was overwhelmed by his generosity, I tell you!
biker

Post by biker »

For breakdown cover I use Autoaid, it's around £60 and covers motorbikes, cars, vans up to 7.5 tonne, trailers and caravans so the one policy covers all our vehicles. Also covers your wife/partner.
I AM THAT I AM

Return to “THE PUB”