Raynaud’s, does reducing vibration help

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Jak*

Raynaud’s, does reducing vibration help

Post by Jak* »

Hi, I have started getting Raynaud’s, in winter if I ride without heated gloves my hands go black with the cold. I know the topic has been mentioned before but I wonder if anyone knows if carrying on riding bikes particularly those that vibrate makes it worse? Has anyone tried these https://roxspeedfx.com/blogs/news/anti- ... ur-comfort
to reduce vibration and do they work? Do different sorts of bars make a difference, eg aluminium as opposed to steel? Thanks
Hugh

Re: Raynaud’s, does reducing vibration help

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I empathise with your predicament.

For me handlebar muffs and heated grips ease the problems. GasGas Buxton sell elements that work fine with trials/trail bikes;

https://trialendurodirect.com/product/h ... cba1185463

TTFN

Hugh.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Thanks Hugh. I have Gerbing heated gloves and Barkbusters muffs over handguards which work well, but I am concerned that continuing to ride bikes which vibrate a lot, I have a Himalayan and some older Guzzis and Brit bikes is going to make the problem worse. I am thinking of either trying the risers on the Himalayan or looking at getting a Classic or Meteor as they are incredibly smooth.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Filling the bars with builders' squirty foam can help as it damps out resonances in the bars.

Alternatively, treat yourself to a straight-six motorcycle with a perfectly-balanced engine.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Or a 90 degree v twin to open up your bike options, some of those are well balanced engines. Need to be 90 degree cylinders mind.
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

... or try changing the bar end weights for heavier ones.

tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

I've found that foam grips like the ones found on children's scooters work very well at cutting vibration out, they look rubbish though.
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Also increase the bar end weights with the foam grips. The weights do significantly reduced his resolution vibration.
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

Nice suggestions. I'd also add, on top of keeping your hands warm, adding weight and softer grips, to grip the bars softly and keep your hands moving around.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
dodursley

Post by dodursley »

I have recently started suffering from Reynauds. On my assorted bikes bar vibration makes little difference but very dependent on temperature. I get it walking as well if cold. If I am on a bike with heated grips no problem otherwise if I feel it starting I stop and put my gloved hand on a warm silencer for a minute and that warms glove and hand enough to stop it.
The conditions for my Reynaud are not very consistent, some cold days no problem other milder days it will still appear, but warmth always removes it.

Return to “THE PUB”