Why?
dave h

Re: O joy of joys

Post by dave h »

dave.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I'm not French and if I was I may have a different opinion , but I'd be first in the very long queue to slap Bojo, Farage, Gove, JRM or Cummings.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Jak* wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:15 pm I'm not French and if I was I may have a different opinion , but I'd be first in the very long queue to slap Bojo, Farage, Gove, JRM or Cummings.
Macron is deeply unpopular over here, but so are all incumbent presidents. Remember he was elected because he was not Le Penn, and he was an experiment - an independent non-aligned politician. Within a year he was hated. And so was Hollande, and so was Sarkozy, and so was Chirac. French people enjoy despising the same politician they voted for just 12 months earlier - it's a tradition.

The big question, and a vital one for France and Europe itself, is whether he can defeat Le Penn again next Spring. The left are split and disorganised right now, so it's down to Macron to prevent a far right shift. The normal trend is high Round One support for the pretender and then Round Two confirmation of the incumbent. This is to give the sitting president a black eye (or a slap?) - a warning that he should not take the country's support for granted. Many voters will have to swallow hard and vote for Macron, against their wishes, just in order to prevent the threat of populism/fascism in France. Nothing is so important in European politics next year.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Just saw this and thought it probably belonged here:

Return to “THE PUB”