very sad

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
moto al

Re: very sad

Post by moto al »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:04 pm I'm not a fan of tech, at all. But it has its uses. Couple in the next village were out driving in the middle of nowhere when the old boy had a heart attack. His wife tried 999, but no mobile signal. Then she remembered the car (a merc 4x4) had some kind of sat-phone SOS beacon thing, which she was able to activate, and an ambulance got there just in time.
hi richard ,sometimes you cant get a signal on your phone even worse with a sat nav. and you wonder why the SCOTS complain . :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
moto al
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

They are trialling 5G here...you won't need a phone at all, apparently as it will track you via the microchips in your covid jab!

:D
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Seminole wrote:I carry a PLB, but id have to be alive and reasonably functional to set it off.
That’s where BMW’s SOS system works as soon as bike goes horizontal
Call is made to the rider and if no response they contact emergency services with a precise location
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
johnnyboxer

very sad

Post by johnnyboxer »

moto al wrote:
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:04 pm I'm not a fan of tech, at all. But it has its uses. Couple in the next village were out driving in the middle of nowhere when the old boy had a heart attack. His wife tried 999, but no mobile signal. Then she remembered the car (a merc 4x4) had some kind of sat-phone SOS beacon thing, which she was able to activate, and an ambulance got there just in time.
hi richard ,sometimes you cant get a signal on your phone even worse with a sat nav. and you wonder why the SCOTS complain . :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
You need ‘in reach’ satellite comms then

With money we don't have

daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

johnnyboxer wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:45 pm
I remember watching a YT video over winter, of a bloke with a new 1250 GSA trying to cross a ford near Hawes in the Dales.
His mate had videoed him, embarking on a crossing, which failed within 20 yards and the bike went down
Within seconds the rider's phone rang and you could hear the audio on the film
Rider answers it
Hello, BMW SOS here - are you ok, we have detected your bike has crashed and do you need help
Much hilarity ensued and the rider, said no, I am fine
BMW SOS terminated the call
Literally it was within seconds of the bike keeling over
These new GS's must have spot trackers and telemetry.................it was very impressive
If I had one of those on my Beta RR it would be ringing up every few minutes!
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

daveuprite wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:45 pm
I remember watching a YT video over winter, of a bloke with a new 1250 GSA trying to cross a ford near Hawes in the Dales.
His mate had videoed him, embarking on a crossing, which failed within 20 yards and the bike went down
Within seconds the rider's phone rang and you could hear the audio on the film
Rider answers it
Hello, BMW SOS here - are you ok, we have detected your bike has crashed and do you need help
Much hilarity ensued and the rider, said no, I am fine
BMW SOS terminated the call
Literally it was within seconds of the bike keeling over
These new GS's must have spot trackers and telemetry.................it was very impressive
If I had one of those on my Beta RR it would be ringing up every few minutes!
Me too

With money we don't have

Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

My Garmin Zumo XT (and I think others do as well) has an "incident detection" system, but does need a mobile signal for it to work:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... 15B4F.html
Mike Wrights

Post by Mike Wrights »

I was talking to a guy abroad once and he told me of the time he was riding a mountain passe then next minute woke up in a swiss hospital.
He clipped a snow pole and over he went later found by the rare chance a driver arrived who saw the bits of the bike and skid Mark's. Both bike and rider down the side held only by some outcrop.
Bike was a right off and he spent about a month in hospital then came the 15k bill which his insurance paid. Out if his own money he paid about 15 pounds. One lucky guy in some respects
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

I understand many alpine countries have made a special effort to have good mobile coverage.

Wife was certainly thankful back in 1992 when she slipped on a French alpine path at around 1600 metres and broke her ankle. She was helicoptered off the side of the mountain and after a 10 minute flight was being treated in hospital. Took me over 2 hours to get down the mountain, talk to the insurance company (Britannia Rescue) and ride to the hospital.

Helicopter bill was 1800 euros, I just sent it off to the insurance company and heard no more .

tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...

Return to “THE PUB”