Uk import duty shocker!!

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
daveuprite

Re: Uk import duty shocker!!

Post by daveuprite »

Just a reminder. Your freedom to move and the customs / export / import situation you face depends upon where your country sits within this diagram:

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Freedom to move around, is different to Ease of moving around
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

garyboy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:42 am Freedom to move around, is different to Ease of moving around
Yes, and...?

UK passport holders have LOST the freedom to do several things that they were free to do before. They also now find it much harder (i.e. less EASEy) to do several other things.

In what kind of absurd and perverse world is it a good thing for people to lose their freedom and for life to be harder? These used to be things that even the right wing fought against!

It's a shame that these days we have to use simplistic metaphors to get the point across, but consider this:

I want to eat my dinner. Up till now I just sat down and ate my dinner. Sorted. But today I have to scramble across a ditch, ford a stream, build a bridge and pay for a dinner permit before I can finally get to my dinner, by which time it's cold. According to the logic of your statement above, you would say, "That's fine, you can still eat your dinner can't you? What are you complaining about?".

Do you really think for one second that is a sensible viewpoint? If so, have you gone mad?
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

the EU are perfectly entitled to impose onerous restrictive practices on internal and external countries, but it is obvious that this is a `lesson`
.. for internal consumption (fear of god into members, like any dictator does)
.. and for external punishment (that's wot you get, UK, for not obeying us, like any dictator does)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

daveuprite wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:01 am
garyboy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:42 am Freedom to move around, is different to Ease of moving around
Yes, and...?

UK passport holders have LOST the freedom to do several things that they were free to do before. They also now find it much harder (i.e. less EASEy) to do several other things.

In what kind of absurd and perverse world is it a good thing for people to lose their freedom and for life to be harder? These used to be things that even the right wing fought against!

It's a shame that these days we have to use simplistic metaphors to get the point across, but consider this:

I want to eat my dinner. Up till now I just sat down and ate my dinner. Sorted. But today I have to scramble across a ditch, ford a stream, build a bridge and pay for a dinner permit before I can finally get to my dinner, by which time it's cold. According to the logic of your statement above, you would say, "That's fine, you can still eat your dinner can't you? What are you complaining about?".

Do you really think for one second that is a sensible viewpoint? If so, have you gone mad?

ya twonk !! :lol: ... we in the UK do not need Eu permission for any of our fukkin freedoms
My granfathers fought for those freedoms ... we do not need permission form any european country or controlling trading block
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

they may control YOU, Dave, as you live in that dictatorial trading block ... but we in the UK are not, and will not, be controlled by these dictators
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

garyboy wrote:
Yes, and...?

ya twonk !! :lol: ... we in the UK do not need Eu permission for any of our fukkin freedoms
My granfathers fought for those freedoms ... we do not need permission form any european country or controlling trading block
If you like living on an island then yes, if you want to trade or travel then a big fat NO

You have to interact

Cutting yourself off from your nearest trading bloc and isolating is plain stupidity
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

NURSE!
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

garyboy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:04 am the EU are perfectly entitled to impose onerous restrictive practices on internal and external countries, but it is obvious that this is a `lesson`
.. for internal consumption (fear of god into members, like any dictator does)
.. and for external punishment (that's wot you get, UK, for not obeying us, like any dictator does)
Sorry Gary, but you pillock.
This has nothing to do with the EU imposing rules on the UK. The UK decided to LEAVE the system that was in place and go it alone.
And as such the UK will now be treated the same as Colombia, Uganda, USA, etc when it comes to trade. The 'Deal' which the UK struck with the EU
is what the UK and EU have agreed to. Nothing was imposed. Why should the EU treat the UK any differently to the other countries mentioned
above now that the UK is no longer a member of the EU?
This is what was voted for in the referendum, but pigheaded brits still thinking Britain is Great in the world scene and people that believed a
liar are now facing the REAL consequences of their simplistic vote. Is the NHS now receiving £350m a week in extra funding?

I knew when the referendum was first launched that the question was far too simplistic for such a complex matter.
How many people can actually quote an EU regulation that has impacted their lives negatively, and are now better off for being outside the EU. I haven't found that person yet...

The UK has got what it asked for, no more no less.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

johnnyboxer wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:12 am
garyboy wrote:
Yes, and...?

If you like living on an island then yes, if you want to trade or travel then a big fat NO

You have to interact

Cutting yourself off from your nearest trading bloc and isolating is plain stupidity

we are not cut off
we are not isolated
eu is our nearest trading block, but it is not the be all and end all of the world

give it time and when the `punishment` is over, or eased, the eu will see the benefits of trading with our great nation ... great britain

Return to “THE PUB”