viewranger topo maps france,spain info required

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Tramp

viewranger topo maps france,spain info required

Post by Tramp »

Okay in a diehard garmin fan the zumo595 i have for road is great ....have a oregon 600...but its battery life is crap 6hrs with new batterys yestrday :idea: ...also having seen Dibbs viewranger os map on his phone it was lite years ahead of the garin os map ...i also use the free osm on my phone android...

Question 1.....has anyone used viewranger france or spain topo maps as they are ign based so damn good , ive the garmin versions but they are slow and not clear detail for old eyes.

Question 2...is it possinle to plan a track on basdcamp then export as gpx to viewranger on a andriod phone...

Ill keep ghe phone questiobs separate lol :lol:
Nico-D

Re: viewranger topo maps france,spain info required

Post by Nico-D »

I don't use viewranger much nowadays , just for local stuff here in France when cycling mainly. As you say the IGN mapping is excellent, you could ( still can ?) just pay for the tiles you need which didn't work out too bad for a small local area, however I see they are now offering a year subscription of IGN whole of FR for 20 € which seems reasonable to me.
You can certainly import any gpx files into viewranger ok.

For moto use I use garmin montana with garmin topo maps for both Fr and Spain and I have no issues with them, occasional inaccuracies perhaps but that's same with any maps and way better than some of the osm maps I previously tried. No problems with slowness or detail and my eyes are aging too :roll: .
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

It's not just your eyes Nick... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Nico..

Ive got the garmin topo ign france and Spain and used them lots..

Q....how does the map appearance of france or spain on montana compare to the phone..

I also do walking and mountain bikeing in france on the chemin and v v r routes :lol: ...

Cheers
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

Mapping screen compare.jpg
Mapping screen compare.jpg (141.38 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
not a great photo but tried to match scale and centre on same spot, the IGN on phone is much clearer as you can see and very nice for slower speeds like walking VTT etc. On the Montana for navigation I have it set in 'automotive' mode rather than the north up as in the photo above.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Thank you for posting the pics as that really helps and yes i ment vtt lol...never tried it in automotive mode when offroad always gone track up so i dont get left and right confused... :lol:
bowber

Post by bowber »

I used viewranger last year while in france and had the subscription to the IGN maps but it was a bit of a pain having to have a signal all the time.
You can download an area I think, I didn't as I was going to Spain, and you can plot a route and import a gpx into viewranger.

Steve
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

yes you can download maps to use 'offline'
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

You're all getting it wrong. Here you can see my set-up (set to North-up of course). High visibility and very easy to read. I know it's difficult to understand all the technical detail behind this navigation system, but I'm sure there are post-graduate degree courses you could join to grasp the basics.

As Steve and Nick can testify, on its debut outing my system worked faultlessly.
poldark

Post by poldark »

daveuprite wrote:You're all getting it wrong. Here you can see my set-up (set to North-up of course). High visibility and very easy to read. I know it's difficult to understand all the technical detail behind this navigation system, but I'm sure there are post-graduate degree courses you could join to grasp the basics.

As Steve and Nick can testify, on its debut outing my system worked faultlessly.
Excellent system, you could make a load of money selling those things!!

Where's the zoom function? Image

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

Return to “THE PUB”