Very small things that piss you off but shouldn't really...

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Elmer J Fudd

Re: Very small things that piss you off but shouldn't really...

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Sanqhar wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:50 pm People who put the word "really" at the end of every sentence. They don't do it when they write a sentence, perhaps that's the problem - they can't write.

tom
A rich tapestry of dialect.

I like the Yorkshire "Now then!" which can be a greeting or a scolding and a lot between.

There used to be a trend round here for things being Pure....

Pure boging - Not very nice

Pure brilliant - Good

Pure dead brilliant - Very Good

Pure Raging - Not very happy

etc. etc.

Fifers like to add "Like" to the end of sentences. "He was pissed like...."

One that caught me out was a colleague from Edinburgh you used to add "Aye" to the end of sentences, but he used it both as an affirmation and as a question (for you to agree), so would sometimes just stare at whoever he was talking to waiting on an answer. Bizarre.

Henry Cole adding "Man" to his sentences is rather annoying. Which reminds me, someone gave me his book to read.
ggp59

Post by ggp59 »

So, why do some people start every scentence with the word 'so'??
My theory is that it's to give enough time for the brain to catch up with the mouth :D
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

You’ve reminded me. Henry Cole.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I picked his book up...then put it down again after a very short time.
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

I am 36 and have done ok for myself I have 4 beautiful children a wonderful fiancee and a good job.I have never been good at grammar and punctuation, I can say what I mean and when needed I can hold up a intellectual conversation with the most learned people i on the other hand am really good at maths,fault finding,electrical or mechanical I have numerous skills from being a time served French polisher to being a nvq lvl 4 qualified car paint refinisher and body repairer,I also work for a billion dollar company repairing and maintaining gambling machines thourought the uk and europe.i have never suffered in my employment or my personal life for my bad grammar,spelling or punctuation and if people are that pathetic that they need to pull and ridicule people on there bad English,spelling,punctuation,grammar and sit behind there computer keyboards or phone keyboards with spell check then they are not worth sharing the breath I breath a big round of applause for you if you have good grammar etc and slate people for it from the depths of your own insecurities in my personal experience it hasn't hindered me in the same respect I've never needed it
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

🇩🇪 🇧🇪 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇮🇲 🇱🇺
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

ggp59 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:59 pm So, why do some people start every scentence with the word 'so'??
My theory is that it's to give enough time for the brain to catch up with the mouth :D

I think that habit originated in people who watched too many American TV shows and has spread
Most english speaking teenage girls now impersonate an accent and mannerisms that 30 years ago were only to be found in the San Fernando valley..TV and t'internet spread it round the world... Oh my god :lol:
Its a trick............get an Axe
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Asgard wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:22 pm
ggp59 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:59 pm So, why do some people start every scentence with the word 'so'??

I think that habit originated in people who watched too many American TV shows and has spread
Most english speaking teenage girls now impersonate an accent and mannerisms that 30 years ago were only to be found in the San Fernando valley..TV and t'internet spread it round the world... Oh my god :lol:

P.S. yea ggp59 you are right about why people use these superfluous words at the start of a sentence.
"Well" was perhaps the most use example I can remember till the Americanism "So" took over

I have a tendency for ending sentences in "like" or "innit", which I am certain irritates the feck out of some :D
Its a trick............get an Axe
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

Asgard wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:30 pm
Asgard wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:22 pm

P.S. yea ggp59 you are right about why people use these superfluous words at the start of a sentence.
"Well" was perhaps the most use example I can remember till the Americanism "So" took over

I have a tendency for ending sentences in "like" or "innit", which I am certain irritates the feck out of some :D

Your forum name this week asgard as we have been rewatching the marvel films and everytime I look on this forum you have commented when thor says asgard its tickled me
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

🇩🇪 🇧🇪 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇮🇲 🇱🇺
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

It’s a tactic used by young people, I’m not sure where they picked it up but it’s intended to focus the listener on what they’re about to say.
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

That may be so ...... it's just unfortunate that more often than not the words preceded by the "So," are not really worth listening to !

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Return to “THE PUB”