Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
bikenav

if you got nothing better to do at 22.58 go outside and look up

Post by bikenav »

as heading
Spike941

Re: if you got nothing better to do at 22.58 go outside and look up

Post by Spike941 »

Saw a satellite heading due north, was that it?
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

more like 20+ with 6 or more in sight at any one time almost in a line looked like an alien invasion travelling W to E at about 80 degrees so nearly overhead quite a strange sight, apparently to feed cheap low energy internet signals to remote parts of the world. the big bright object in the western sky at about 30 degrees is Venus also quite impressive at the moment.
here you go
https://findstarlink.com/#10004;3.
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

I missed this but did notice how clear the night sky is whilst walking the dog tonight.

As you say, Venus is really bright. I wonder if it’s due to its current proximity to earth or the reduction in vapor trails and industrial smog?
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

I did notice a string of satellites a couple of nights back, and without doubt sounds like one of the same. I also counted 6 in a row which appeared to be following in an west to east direction. You comment on them providing internet signals, now I know nothing of these things, but I would assume internet would be provided by geo stationary satellites, not orbiting ones as these clearly are. But as mentioned, what do I know. I’ll have to do some research.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Happy to be corrected as to their purpose or more info added. A mate rang me up last night go out take a look for me he said, A spooky sight it was and they were coming from the direction of that other very bright stationery object too. He thought it was a part of Tesco's new secret food delivery system being tested, but thats a secret so we better not say to much more about that. They may well be testing again tonight. There was a discussion this morning was it the Chinese spreading a second wave but I said it would be OK they were coming from the West so they would already have dropped their load on the other side of the Atlantic.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

bikenav wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:22 am Happy to be corrected as to their purpose or more info added. A mate rang me up last night go out take a look for me he said, A spooky sight it was and they were coming from the direction of that other very bright stationery object too. He thought it was a part of Tesco's new secret food delivery system being tested, but thats a secret so we better not say to much more about that. They may well be testing again tonight. There was a discussion this morning was it the Chinese spreading a second wave but I said it would be OK they were coming from the West so they would already have dropped their load on the other side of the Atlantic.
:lol: :lol:

I took a look, but a bit overcast here last night. We've had a stonking 5 weeks though, weather wise, with fantastic clear nights and super stars. Venus has been hanging around for ages, so bright and clear. I caught the ISS briefly a while back, which was just as bright.

Jupiter, Saturn and Mars were all lined up nicely a few days ago, if you got out of bed about 4am. Apparently Mercury has been visible, but I don't think I've ever seen it knowingly.
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Sounds like they’re Elton Musk’s new satellites

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... n-18116446
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

spaceships passing somewhere near you again tonight at 9.58 here in W Wales.

Return to “THE PUB”