COVID-19......Your Situation

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Hugh

Re: COVID-19......Your Situation

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Pardon my thinking out loud but is there or could there be a fund or collection/distribution site set up either for food or perhaps food vouchers?

I feel guilty that I sit here with relatively so much in comparison to many whilst others are worried sick.

I am not riding so perhaps I could donate the cost of the petrol that I will not use to a fighting fund.

TTFN

Hugh.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Hugh wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:33 pm Greetings,

Pardon my thinking out loud but is there or could there be a fund or collection/distribution site set up either for food or perhaps food vouchers?

I feel guilty that I sit here with relatively so much in comparison to many whilst others are worried sick.

I am not riding so perhaps I could donate the cost of the petrol that I will not use to a fighting fund.

TTFN

Hugh.
Your local foodbanks are always in need of donations, even in affluent area's there are needs and they would be grateful for as much or as little as you can give.
Our Parish Council has set up a team of over 60 volunteers to keep in contact with vulnerable people and coordinate food deliveries to their doorsteps, maybe worth checking out your local Council website.

Amid the doom and gloom there are some amazing stories of local cafes and restaurants giving away food to those in need.
A mate of mine who lives in Lincolnshire bakes artisan bread as a hobby and locals are donating flour and yeast so he can keep the village supplied with bread.
It's a very worrying time for all of us and if tomorrow is to be your last then why not help someone. Helping someone in need is the most rewarding and humbling experience you will have.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
RandG

Post by RandG »

johnnyboxer wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:57 pm
Not good then
Fall back on your savings like me then
Timing is everything in life, as you know I bought a scrambler a few weeks back, shit happens I guess.
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

I live in Ayrshire and work in Glasgow city centre. Usually commute by train, but have been using the bikes to avoid contact. I usually wait till the frosts / salt have stopped before using the bike and riding in freezing temps on icy roads brings back memories from my youth that I thought I wouldn't have to repeat.

We now have access to our computer system from home and can do pretty much everything via remote desktop. All site visits are stopped and all meetings are via Skype / MS Teams.

It is an Architects office with just under 100 staff, ironically we do a lot of healthcare work.

On site projects are still ongoing with contractors trying to limit their presence with different shift patterns etc. We suspect that if things do just end up closing down, then we could end up at least half the size in a year or so as the recession that is probably going to follow bites.

We're not really bad off at the moment, no cases that near us, got enough food for a couple of weeks, can make own bread etc. so once the hoarders run out of space in their Zombie / Armageddon stores we should be back to normal food shops.
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

Personally I'm fairly lucky in that I work for a big car manufacturer and if and when we do stop producing I'll be off for a while with my basic pay which is very good. Apart from that it's try to get food other than the essentials we'd already got in thanks to working opposite shifts a lot of the time which is not the easiest.

The rub comes with the fact my Mrs works in the theatres at the local hospital, she's trained for airways management and volunteered to go up to the ITU to look after covid-19 patients, 12 hour shifts and not enough PPE to get hold of for the long term. She's also asthmatic and ended up in a&e at Christmas for a chest infection so that's a bit of a worry to add on the list but there's no talking her out of it as it's something she feels she has to do. She's a lot more conscientious than me.

We'd planned a long weekend away this weekend months ago in fact the first for a long time but had to cut it short after everything escalated a lot more quickly than expected here and she's got to work Sunday night.

We've got a long road of a self imposed self isolation ahead as a fair few of both our families and friends come into the at risk groups and that's just the people we're aware of. We're both probably going to get it at some point but hopefully we'll skip through it ok. So it's mainly going to be going to work and going home and playing with the dogs.

I'd love to be able to do something to help in some way but unfortunately unless they want things fixing my skillset doesn't cross over so all I can do really is keep the house and try and keep her on her feet to look after those worse off. The scary thing really for me is this is a situation that's going to be repeated in the thousands all over the country.

I know a lot of supermarkets are now doing an NHS time slot but it's not exactly shift friendly, if you know anyone that works at the hospitals please make sure they've got enough to get by as not all of them can get to the shops when there's still stuff left and normally they're the ones on the wards pulling long shifts trying to look after people.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

RandG wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:57 pm
Not good then
Fall back on your savings like me then
Timing is everything in life, as you know I bought a scrambler a few weeks back, shit happens I guess.
I guess you didn't think it would get this bad

Bikes aren't selling either
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
RandG

Post by RandG »

I'm not so sure anyone thought things would get this bad, even you.

I very much doubt anything is selling for a while, be it bikes, cars, houses, you name it, the world is on hold.
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

I’m a self employed site based project/site manager on a luxury residential construction site in Yorkshire. A month ago I had the chance to go on the books but chose to stay self employed. Doh!

If/when there’s a lockdown, I’m hoping my client will let me work from home part time to schedule materials/labour etc for future sites.
My house also needs repointing, bathroom re-tiling and dry stone wall rebuilding so I can keep my mind/body busy for a few months to stop me going mad (assuming I don’t get ill).

Financially, I’m relieved that I resisted the temptation of replacing my old bike/van so feel lucky that for the first time in my life I’ve got enough savings to cope for a few months.
Also my wife who works for the local university is now working from home so it’s reassuring to have a second independent income for the time being.

It’s my two teenage daughters that need reminding how lucky we are. They’re naturally frustrated because one just had her driving test cancelled, lost her part time bar job and the other was due to fly abroad for Au Pair work, so they really feel like they’ve had their wings clipped and independence lost.

I don’t know how this health crisis will pan out but worry that there too still many not taking it seriously enough therefore putting unfair pressure on the NHS staff & resorces.

That included my elderly parents who as of last week still Insisted on going to the gym.
My dad said “This virus is just nature’s way of culling a few old buggers. There’s too many of em about”.

My mums just gone 88 and my dad will be 91 in May (hopefully!)

Keep safe everyone and my thoughts and best wishes to those currently struggling with other health issues.
johnnyboxer

COVID-19......Your Situation

Post by johnnyboxer »

RandG wrote:I'm not so sure anyone thought things would get this bad, even you.

I very much doubt anything is selling for a while, be it bikes, cars, houses, you name it, the world is on hold.
I didn’t think it would be, no

Glad now that I didn’t order that T700 last autumn, for Spring 2020 delivery
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Without wishing to rub anyones nose in it and i do feel for a huge amount of people in a worse situation than me.
We have paid our mortgage off and have no loans or other commitments. My wife is a nurse (no worries of work drying up here!) and my daughter and her partner work in the care industry so they will have more work than they can cope with especially as some members of staff sart self isolating at home, I work for the MOD so short of an earthquake under the building that deals with my wages i will carry on being given full wages regardless of the ongoing situation. We have had our holiday cancelled (not complaining as many thousands of others are in the same boat) A holiday is a minute price to pay compared to others who are losing everything including some losing their lives. We need to act reponsibly as i am sure you understand that we could only be three weeks behind the situation occuring in Italy. I will not stop going out for a walk and odd ride on my bike without taking any risks because if i was injured it could put more burden on the NHS. I hope you all stay healthy and come through the other side of this without too much impact on yours or your families lives.

Return to “THE PUB”