Volkswagen t5

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
diggermanbob

Volkswagen t5

Post by diggermanbob »

Volkswagen T5 lwb van , good or bad looking at the 2.5 version , your comments please !!
Agent Orange

Re: Volkswagen t5

Post by Agent Orange »

Depends on mileage, service, oil used etc etc a bit like buying a bike. I have a 1.9 which IMO is more reliable and easier to service and maintain.
But I'm no expert ;)
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

diggermanbob wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:06 pm Volkswagen T5 lwb van , good or bad looking at the 2.5 version , your comments please !!
Hiya Bob. Well I know someone who has had 3 or 4 of them, and every one has had troubles - mainly with reverting to bloody 'limp mode' any time it gets an error. He's a bit of a masochist with them and keeps sinking money into new ECUs, smog filters, etc etc but never seems to solve it. His have been DSG automatics (the powerful ones), so maybe that's to do with it, not sure. They're nice to drive and waft along like a car, but Brian is constantly making excuses for his and we've been sat on the hard shoulder many a time while he waits for the brain to re-set or whatever.

I'm sure lots of people are completely happy with their T5s. It's the only experience of them I know.

I've got an LT35 2.8tdi and it's the most solid reliable piece of granite I've ever owned, but it doesn't have all the clever stuff that VW fitted to their vans later.
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

I’ve owned my 2006 T5 SWB Kombi for just over 10 years now and I love it.
The 5 pot 2.5l engine (mines the 6 speed 174bhp) provides loads of torque and pulls like a train.
I don’t even notice a 250 kilo bike in the back and no need to drop down gears all the time on hills as with smaller displacement engines.

Mine returns ave 30-33mpg (very hilly short journeys) and 35-38 on a long run if I keep it under 70mph.

Mines now done 196k and it’s running as sweet as ever.

Stick some winter tyres on and you’ll be amazed how good they are in the snow (especially 4 motion).

Things to budget for;

Drive shafts are a known weakness (although I’ve only changed my off side once so can’t complain).

Duel mass flywheel - Reverse backwards up a steep hill from standstill and check for judder.

Smaller electrical issues easily sorted - Door lock micro switches, blower fan resistor etc.

The biggest issue I had was an intermittent fault with the ECU which cost me £700 to fix (local auto electrician/2nd hand ECU).

I was lucky however as I bought it off a mate who sorted a couple big items before it reached 100k (Failing turbo and cracked exhaust manifold - smell of fumes in cab).

Expensive new (especially Kombi’s) so second hand vans are sort after keeping residuals very strong (even high milers)

As previously said, look for full service history.
Cheap ones are usually cheap for a reason.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Nice vans Bob, I've got the crafter with same 5cylinder engine, goes well, but mine uses oil and is thirsty, pulls my digger really well. Mates got a new one with the Vw 4cylinder and it goes like stink, don't know how many gee gees, but lovely to drive. All vans have there different issues, one thing I do know there feckin expensive, and hold there price well. Good luck in your search.
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Thanks for the replies guys , I'm running a Peugeot boxer 2007 with the 2.2 engine nice van just looking for something a bit smaller , might go back to a vito van as the last one I had was a great mid sized van.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Just a thought Bob. Maybe go for a full trade van, but get the smallest variant (i.e. L1, H1, short wheel base, low top). Then you get the chance to buy a powerful but economical engine, with a huge payload and towing weight.

For instance, an SWB low roof Sprinter with the 160bhp engine can swallow a tonne and a half, tow a small house, but will fit under height restrictors and do 35mpg. It will drive well, but you can get more in it than any T5.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Or maybe this?:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-Ben ... Swe7peZUff

Very handy for a bit of moonlighting during the Covid crisis. Or you could attend our dirt days with your stretcher at the ready....
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Here ya go bob nipped up wood yard quick before the big virus shutdown. 5cylinder motor never even coughed.
20200316_103528.jpg
20200316_103528.jpg (157.21 KiB) Viewed 2047 times

Return to “THE PUB”