Covid 19 Coronavirus

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Tonibe63

Re: Covid 19 Coronavirus

Post by Tonibe63 »

The way forward is clear to see, look to those who had it first and now appear to be on the downward curve.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Bad new people are ignoring the requests to avoid gatherings and not maintaining the recommended separation, the news last night showed large gathering of riders at Loomies cafe and I was told Devils bridge was still getting weekend crowds. Pictures on bbc of crowded parks and tube trains. Next we will have enforcement as voluntary is being ignored by some.
Stay safe
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

My old golf club has closed the clubhouse to all but the manager and essential upkeep. For now, you can play golf by using fixed tee times and sticking by distancing rules, which could be workable. 60% of members are probably over 70 anyway.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
petecam

Post by petecam »

DavidS wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:33 am My old golf club has closed the clubhouse to all but the manager and essential upkeep. For now, you can play golf by using fixed tee times and sticking by distancing rules, which could be workable. 60% of members are probably over 70 anyway.
I think it’s not a good idea and potentially selfish behaviour. What if someone hurts themselves? This situation is not just about isolation but also what strain you put on resources. I would include riding motorbikes and horse riding in the same bucket, probably cycling as well.

At the moment, if you choose to do something you didn't need to do and end up requiring medical treatment as a result, you're a person who might have just killed someone who needs the bed you've taken, or by spreading it (if asymptomatic) to the doctor who treats you, resulting in them being unable to treat someone else.

I think with the exception of a gentle walk, stay at home and don’t be selfish.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Hospital wards are being cleared and meetings are taking place with staff about redeployment (fact).
People are choosing to ignore Government advice about social distancing and also about travelling so that can only lead to one thing ............. the choice will be taken away.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

petecam wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:10 pm
DavidS wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:33 am My old golf club has closed the clubhouse to all but the manager and essential upkeep. For now, you can play golf by using fixed tee times and sticking by distancing rules, which could be workable. 60% of members are probably over 70 anyway.
I think it’s not a good idea and potentially selfish behaviour. What if someone hurts themselves? This situation is not just about isolation but also what strain you put on resources. I would include riding motorbikes and horse riding in the same bucket, probably cycling as well.

At the moment, if you choose to do something you didn't need to do and end up requiring medical treatment as a result, you're a person who might have just killed someone who needs the bed you've taken, or by spreading it (if asymptomatic) to the doctor who treats you, resulting in them being unable to treat someone else.

I think with the exception of a gentle walk, stay at home and don’t be selfish.
I would go further and say people going for a gentle walk, miles from anywhere and anyone are real selfish bastards as .. if a piano fell onto them, out of the blue,
it would put 88 key workers out of action
and that would affect millions of innocent bad ass bikers.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Last edited by garyboy on Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

This situation is way past 'buy a paper bag to save the planet ' .. or ' plant a tree so the world can breath'

It's now to the level of
'do fuck all, to save the world'
petecam

Post by petecam »

The climate and the coronavirus is an interesting point.

I've read several reports saying there have been massive improvements in air quality since the virus has taken vehicles off the road and shut down a lot of production in China.

Maybe this virus is a warning shot from mother nature. :?:

While this virus is bad, its nothing compared to the clusterf*cking we are doing to the enviroment.....
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

petecam wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:01 pm The climate and the coronavirus is an interesting point.

I've read several reports saying there have been massive improvements in air quality since the virus has taken vehicles off the road and shut down a lot of production in China.

Maybe this virus is a warning shot from mother nature. :?:

While this virus is bad, its nothing compared to the clusterf*cking we are doing to the enviroment.....
Quite so. This is an unprecedented and possibly unique opportunity.

Take a look at the ESA data-set (European Space Agency), which shows NO2 emissions since the Covid crisis have decreased dramatically. The satellite pictures are extraordinary (go and take a look on their web-site!). OK, Nitrogen Dioxide is not in itself a greenhouse gas, but it very often accompanies CO2 and CH4 emissions from industrial processes and transport emissions - so it's a reliable tag-indicator.

Basically we are conducting a giant unintended experiment, impossible in normal times, that reveals what could be done to reduce GG emissions if there was the will and policy triggers to do so.

When the Covid crisis is over, if there is no global international wholesale re-evaluation of the unsustainable capitalist growth model, then we will have missed the greatest last minute chance to slow down climate change we will ever be presented with.

Return to “THE PUB”