Covid 19 Coronavirus

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
daveuprite

Re: Covid 19 Coronavirus

Post by daveuprite »

johnnyboxer wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:30 am
How are you both feeling today?
Thanks for asking, Johnny. Getting up v early because I can't sleep anyway. Coughing like a bastard. Back of throat feels like 40 grit sandpaper coated with ground glass, wrapped around a cactus smothered in barbed wire. One tip for anyone who gets it: Baileys is excellent for the sore/dry throat. The correct dose is 3 doubles, one after the other... (just call me Mr Pharmacist). Aches are getting better. Temperature a bit lower. Tracie much the same. Hardest part is finding the energy to look after the horses each day - but no choice there. It'll be OK, gallows humour is the order of the day here!

Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

daveuprite wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:44 am
Getting up v early because I can't sleep anyway. Coughing like a bastard. Back of throat feels like 40 grit sandpaper coated with ground glass, wrapped around a cactus. One tip for anyone who gets it. Baileys is excellent for the sore/dry throat. The correct dose is 3 doubles, one after the other... Aches are getting better. Temperature a bit lower. Tracie much the same. Hardest part is finding the energy to look after the horses each day - but no choice there.
That sounds more like the symptoms that we've both had (mid 50's with no underlying lung issues).

After a couple of days the dry sore throat is replaced with a heavy head cold (blocked ears, nose and loss of taste/smell) plus a really wheezy chest with lots of phlegm. Sitting in a recliner chair makes you sound like a set of badly tuned bagpipes especially when you've fell asleep for an hour, I was often woken up by a sound that I didn't recognize and then realised it was my own lungs. Also feeling unusually tired, when you've done nothing, to the point that you can't be arsed to get up for tablets/medication.
I never had a fever bad enough to measure it but my wife peaked at 37.8 degrees on Wednesday this week so she is about 7 days behind me. We are now sleeping in separate rooms and she is off work for two weeks of prebooked holiday.
I came down with it about 12 days ago (not worked since-hgv driver) but have been well enough for the last 3 days to climb scaffolding at our house for some much needed diy. The occasional rattling cough is all I'm left with. I'm very much a 'take a man up pill and work it off' sort of person.

All we have done is to isolate from others and hit it hard with throat linctus(for throat and lungs), paracetamol(brings temperature down), vickes on chest/back(keeps the phlegm lose), olbas oil steam inhalation(for head cold).

The death figures are sadly appalling but on the positive side there are far more people coming out of hospital without going on to ITU plus lots more people in the community who are recovering without ever going to hospitals or seeing their GP (which does not appear in any figures). However this did not stop me contemplating my own life and future during the dark hours of the long nights.

Stay safe and self isolate.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Tonibe63 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:39 am
daveuprite wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:44 am
Getting up v early because I can't sleep anyway. Coughing like a bastard. Back of throat feels like 40 grit sandpaper coated with ground glass, wrapped around a cactus. One tip for anyone who gets it. Baileys is excellent for the sore/dry throat. The correct dose is 3 doubles, one after the other... Aches are getting better. Temperature a bit lower. Tracie much the same. Hardest part is finding the energy to look after the horses each day - but no choice there.
That sounds more like the symptoms that we've both had (mid 50's with no underlying lung issues).

After a couple of days the dry sore throat is replaced with a heavy head cold (blocked ears, nose and loss of taste/smell) plus a really wheezy chest with lots of phlegm. Sitting in a recliner chair makes you sound like a set of badly tuned bagpipes especially when you've fell asleep for an hour, I was often woken up by a sound that I didn't recognize and then realised it was my own lungs. Also feeling unusually tired, when you've done nothing, to the point that you can't be arsed to get up for tablets/medication.
I never had a fever bad enough to measure it but my wife peaked at 37.8 degrees on Wednesday this week so she is about 7 days behind me. We are now sleeping in separate rooms and she is off work for two weeks of prebooked holiday.
I came down with it about 12 days ago but have been well enough for the last 3 days to climb scaffolding at our house for some much needed diy. The occasional rattling cough is all I'm left with.

All we have done is to isolate from others and hit it hard with throat linctus(for throat and lungs), paracetamol(brings temperature down), vickes on chest/back(keeps the phlegm lose), olbas oil steam inhalation(for head cold).

The death figures are sadly appalling but on the positive side there are far more people coming out of hospital without going on to ITU plus lots more people in the community who are recovering without ever going to hospitals or seeing their GP (which does not appear in any figures). However this did not stop me contemplating my own life and future during the dark hours of the long nights.

Stay safe and self isolate.
Hey, you've had it worse than us, Tony, by the sound of it. It seems to manifest itself very differently across the population. Some people getting diarrhoea and a headache, others bone aches and high temperatures, terrible coughs, or combinations of all those. We've run out of cough syrup, so making up a honey/lemon potion each day - leg of toad and eye of bat etc - actually eye of bat might not be such a good idea...

I haven't taken to contemplating my own life yet - it would be too disappointing. But definitely feeling delicate right now. On the more cheerful side, I heard our first cuckoo in the forest yesterday, the newts have awoken in our pond, and Venus looks amazing in the night sky at the moment. All harbingers of Spring...

Very best of luck to you recovering.
WillS

Post by WillS »

Wishing you both well Dave, I take it that the "Gin" does not give the healing powers to your throat!!
Hope you both recover soon, all seems ok in the Pyrenees very few cases of the virus. Keeping well isolated as the dr said.
After informing me I'm in the higher risk group!!
Let's hope it's all over soon.
Looking forward to seeing you in Sort September, should be a great week.
Take care...
Will
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Thanks Dave.
Should be our Sons wedding today but it's obviously been postponed so could be a real emotional day with the family all self isolating in different parts of the County :cry: .
Another day up the scaffold for me, topping up my sun and wind tan from the last 3 days (repointing 2 chimney stacks etc).

Beautiful day for it
IMG_20200404_092033.jpg
IMG_20200404_092033.jpg (121.37 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

WillS wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:17 am
Take care...
Will
Good to hear from you Wills. Yeah, you keep safe and locked down, old bean.

Do you think we'll make Sort this year? I haven't given up on it, by any means, but I wonder if we'll all be able to travel by then?
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

WillS

Post by WillS »

daveuprite wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:00 am
Take care...
Will

Do you think we'll make Sort this year? I haven't given up on it, by any means, but I wonder if we'll all be able to travel by then?
If we cannot cross the border, then we can make a plan for the French TET in the Pyrenees.
I'm sure we will be able to travel in France.
But let's hope we can cross over into Spain for the annual Sort bash. That was a great week.
20190926_154948.jpg
20190926_154948.jpg (199.54 KiB) Viewed 2121 times
devon john

Post by devon john »

DavidS wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:00 pm Maybe I haven’t thought this through but that seems a very odd decision.
Let’s hope nobody needs it.
a pilot died in Spain

john
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

WillS wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:20 am
daveuprite wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:00 am
Take care...
Will

If we cannot cross the border, then we can make a plan for the French TET in the Pyrenees.
I'm sure we will be able to travel in France.
But let's hope we can cross over into Spain for the annual Sort bash. That was a great week.

20190926_154948.jpg
Who's that dick on the left? Actually the geezer on the right looks a bit dodgy too...

Return to “THE PUB”