Covid 19 Coronavirus

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Elmer J Fudd

Re: Covid 19 Coronavirus

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

I agree with some of that, but disagree with other bits, as much energy and money is being pumped in to Hull

It would be a bit boring if everyone agreed.

I'm interested to know what and why?
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Hull has no transport infrastructure due to lack of investment, it has sprawling sink estates due to lack of investment.
One of the biggest industries at the moment is wind turbines. When the Dutch and Germans came over they couldn’t believe that a place with a huge dock just across from Europe, with potential transport links to sheffield, leeds, Newcastle even Manchester had had no investment - they were pretty astonished in fact.
Nantes is nowhere near any large cities - yet it has infrastructure. There was lots of protests about increasing the size of the airport but the French government went ahead anyway - more infrastructure.
Just over 300K people live in Nantes - just over 280K in Hull.

If you want to talk about rebuilding after the war - Dresden
Just saying

Hull is at the arse end of nowhere and this cannot be changed. Transport is actually good in /out to the West apart from the A63 to the docks. Train services are there to York, Leeds etc. and there is a service to London. It is missing a provincial sized airport, but that could be built.

Even with a blank sheet of paper: Move the docks to the West of the city and link to paragon by rail. Build a London City type airport either at the (now old) docks or beside the new ones by reclaiming land or even locating at Loconfield to the North (old bomber station) which has a train line nearby. You still have the fundamental issue of the city not being at the centre of its commercial sphere as this is all skewed West via M62 / A1 where other, more attractive (commercially) places are. Without a reason to go to Hull for industry, commerce or leisure it is always going to suffer and the population is neither numerically enough or wealthy enough to sustain a vibrant city centre.

Knock Down Orchard park or Bransholme and rebuild, but the social issues will remain.

You can invest in Industry, however it will need to be niche and high value to overcome the extra transport costs. Renewables is one, but the industry is fickle and can be gone at any time unless the location becomes an international base (such as F1 around Oxfordshire) with feeder businesses clustered around it. But then again Caravans and Wind Turbines isn't enough of a spread and Pharmaceutical has pretty much dried up.

I'm not sure Hull's decline its down to lack of investment, more down to not having an ability to pull prosperity towards it by being out of the way.

As for Dresden, it has a fantastic location, close to borders with Poland and Czech Republic, own airport, train links in and out etc. it can trade in 360°.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Last edited by Asgard on Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Its a trick............get an Axe
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

From another forum:
As from today Monday 15th June 2020,
British passport holders can now enter France for a holiday provided that they:
1- Have a valid passport
2- Complete the Formulaire de Declaration sur l'honneur in duplicate (one for you and one for Immigration)
3-That each person has sufficient funds for their stay in France and medical insurance which includes repatriation.

On that form, Brits must write the address where they are going to be and their mobile number.
OR and here comes the best bit:
For those who wish to wander as travellers do, whether using a tent or camping car, this is now allowed provided you state on the form ' 'voyage itinérant' and include your mobile number
I was told the reason for this is to help them contact you in case of virus flare-up and to give you updates as to what to do should this occur.

This information was given to me during my telephone conversation with a senior immigration officer in France this morning.

Time to fill up and check those tyre pressures.
Usual Caveat - It is your responsibility to check the accuracy of this post- [ it was at 09:25 today] as things can change in a blink of an eye!
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Elmer J Fudd wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:42 pm Hull has no transport infrastructure due to lack of investment, it has sprawling sink estates due to lack of investment.
One of the biggest industries at the moment is wind turbines. When the Dutch and Germans came over they couldn’t believe that a place with a huge dock just across from Europe, with potential transport links to sheffield, leeds, Newcastle even Manchester had had no investment - they were pretty astonished in fact.
Nantes is nowhere near any large cities - yet it has infrastructure. There was lots of protests about increasing the size of the airport but the French government went ahead anyway - more infrastructure.

Just saying

Hull is at the arse end of nowhere and this cannot be changed. Transport is actually good in /out to the West apart from the A63 to the docks. Train services are there to York, Leeds etc. and there is a service to London. It is missing a provincial sized airport, but that could be built.

Even with a blank sheet of paper: Move the docks to the West of the city and link to paragon by rail. Build a London City type airport either at the (now old) docks or beside the new ones by reclaiming land or even locating at Loconfield to the North (old bomber station) which has a train line nearby. You still have the fundamental issue of the city not being at the centre of its commercial sphere as this is all skewed West via M62 / A1 where other, more attractive (commercially) places are. Without a reason to go to Hull for industry, commerce or leisure it is always going to suffer and the population is neither numerically enough or wealthy enough to sustain a vibrant city centre.

Knock Down Orchard park or Bransholme and rebuild, but the social issues will remain.

You can invest in Industry, however it will need to be niche and high value to overcome the extra transport costs. Renewables is one, but the industry is fickle and can be gone at any time unless the location becomes an international base (such as F1 around Oxfordshire) with feeder businesses clustered around it. But then again Caravans and Wind Turbines isn't enough of a spread and Pharmaceutical has pretty much dried up.

I'm not sure Hull's decline its down to lack of investment, more down to not having an ability to pull prosperity towards it by being out of the way.

As for Dresden, it has a fantastic location, close to borders with Poland and Czech Republic, own airport, train links in and out etc. it can trade in 360°.
I’m sorry but all this just tells me lack of investment and all your suggestions (which sound great) will take lots of investment - which won’t happen.
Hull is not in the arse end of nowhere, it is in the middle of England and a gateway to Europe - as the Dutch and Germans rightly pointed out.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

This website may be of use to those hoping to travel to and across the EU in the summer.
https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/PRT
It is supposed to be updated regularly and is aiming to make things easier for travellers and boost tourism.
Apparently the UK was offered the chance to be included, but declined because we are on longer part of the EU. Cutting off nose to spite face comes to mind.
Cheers
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Flipflop wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:49 am
Elmer J Fudd wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:42 pm Hull has no transport infrastructure due to lack of investment, it has sprawling sink estates due to lack of investment.

Just saying

I’m sorry but all this just tells me lack of investment and all your suggestions (which sound great) will take lots of investment - which won’t happen.
Hull is not in the arse end of nowhere, it is in the middle of England and a gateway to Europe - as the Dutch and Germans rightly pointed out.
The point being that you can flood the place with money, housing, subsidies industry etc. but its location at the end of the road / line, has made it unattractive and the cities limited boundaries have made it poor. I agree it is a gateway to Europe, but that only brings through traffic and a few tertiary services, not tourists spending money or mainstream industry. Cities need to be either big enough to attract or niche enough to not need to compete. Hull is neither.

I do like Hull and have spent a lot of time there over the years, there are some gems hidden away, but you need to be objective. It isn't a tourist spot and has no pull for investment, so why would you spend £Billions if there is no return?

Hull is not alone, the same can be said for many places with no modern identity or pull for people to go there to live and/or work.

Anyway that is my last on the subject, others will be falling asleep reading this. :lol:
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Jak* wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:08 am This website may be of use to those hoping to travel to and across the EU in the summer.
https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/PRT
It is supposed to be updated regularly and is aiming to make things easier for travellers and boost tourism.
Apparently the UK was offered the chance to be included, but declined because we are on longer part of the EU. Cutting off nose to spite face comes to mind.
Cheers
Yeah, isn't it just the height of childish petulant stupidity? It joins a growing list of very sensible pieces of co-operation between European states designed to share costs and make life easier for all european residents during covid, which the tory brexit government refuses to take part in simply because the initiative originated from the EU. The last one was the UK refusal to share in a european ventilator procurement contract. Pathetic. It reminds me of Trump ripping up anything that Obama initiated, just because he won't be seen on the same page as his predecessor at any cost - even human lives. This insane immature ideological nonsense is ruining the UK in the same way as Trump is dragging his people into a gutter of his own making.

And as the ultimate cost of 'taking back control', the UK is now locked out of the EU's recently agreed Covid bail-out package for member states, with those most affected receiving most cash. Italy and Spain get about 80 billion euros to help with recovery. France will get about 60 billion euros. If it had remained an EU member the UK would be getting the most, by virtue of having cocked up its virus response worse than the rest - probably about €90 billion !! That's an awful lot of mythical £360 million per week side-of-bus promises foresaken. It's when a large turd hits the fan that you realise how much better off you are being one part of a much bigger more powerful fan.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

But, I assume, we don’t have to contribute god knows how much to the EU recovery fund.
I dread to think what that might have ended up costing us as you can bet we would be net losers.

By the way, on the assumption lots of posts are based on information gleaned elsewhere (hopefully not the media), how good do Spain look now they seem to be (and have been?) massaging the figures. Until we get proper figures, if ever, comparisons are totally pointless.

And the constant UK bashing (even if it’s via the govt) is getting tedious and serves no purpose or value to any discussion.
Ok, you hate Boris but I suspect most of us know that by now. All this slagging is soooo boring dahling. ;)
By the way, I am no Boris apologist, just a realist who wouldn’t wish sorting this lot out onto anyone.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Flipflop wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:41 am From another forum:
As from today Monday 15th June 2020,
British passport holders can now enter France for a holiday provided that they:
1- Have a valid passport
2- Complete the Formulaire de Declaration sur l'honneur in duplicate (one for you and one for Immigration)
3-That each person has sufficient funds for their stay in France and medical insurance which includes repatriation.

On that form, Brits must write the address where they are going to be and their mobile number.
OR and here comes the best bit:
For those who wish to wander as travellers do, whether using a tent or camping car, this is now allowed provided you state on the form ' 'voyage itinérant' and include your mobile number
I was told the reason for this is to help them contact you in case of virus flare-up and to give you updates as to what to do should this occur.

This information was given to me during my telephone conversation with a senior immigration officer in France this morning.

Time to fill up and check those tyre pressures.
Usual Caveat - It is your responsibility to check the accuracy of this post- [ it was at 09:25 today] as things can change in a blink of an eye!

Yep I'm now sat at le touquet the French customs at tunnel said have a nice holiday.... I'm off for a wander for 3 weeks in europe.... Some country's have common sence... The French all said hello and thank you for the custom and have a Bon voyage au moto.... Civilised lot...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider

Return to “THE PUB”