Covid 19 Coronavirus

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
daveuprite

Re: Covid 19 Coronavirus

Post by daveuprite »

That sounds a bit like one of Trump's face-saving measures, so that he has some kind of defence against the accusations of incompetence that will come up during the presidential campaign this Autumn. 2.26 mill dollars for an emergency 6 month extension is hardly the same as a long-term 200 million dollar program, which is what it was before. Anyway the point of a program like that is to have it permanently in place constantly searching potential outbreaks, and hunting down viruses BEFORE they emerge in human populations. The clue is in the title 'prevent'. It rather misses the point to give it a temporary extension after the event. You staff these kind of programs up with highly qualified professional (sought after) people and you guarantee long-term funding, logistical support and the very latest facilities in order to attract the best. If I were involved in Prevent during the Obama years and then got messed about with under Trump, I'd just find employment elsewhere where my expertise was taken seriously. It is also proving quite embarrassing and professionally damaging to be a scientist working closely with this current White House administration. Many of the best have left, especially from the EPA, leaving just yes men / women (like Ms Birx right now) awkwardly choosing between a salary under Trump and their future professional reputation.
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

I agree Dave, shutting the stable door after the horse has left :roll:
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

So "Professor Lock down" made an "error of judgement" and went for a bonk (got caught this time which is his second time), he stated he believed he was immune after a positive test, so where was he wrong with his original figures which led to the "lock down", he has been wrong in the past, or is he wrong about immunity but there is back up evidence coming out of Korea about immunity?

She just happens to be a labour activist just saying like :o ;) :roll:

lots of future issue being created in this country due to the lock down

Cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Spud when you say "activist" ................ seems may be quite active :shock: ;)

TTFN

Hugh.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I love the irony that both Johnson and May are now calling for closer cooperation amongst countries, after spending the last four years trying to convince us that close cooperation with our neighbouring countries was a bad idea, and in Johnson’s case still seeking to reduce such cooperation. :D
Cheers
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Redmurty wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:45 am So "Professor Lock down" made an "error of judgement" and went for a bonk (got caught this time which is his second time), he stated he believed he was immune after a positive test, so where was he wrong with his original figures which led to the "lock down", he has been wrong in the past, or is he wrong about immunity but there is back up evidence coming out of Korea about immunity?

Cheers Spud ;)
This is the sort of thing which is extremely bad for the lockdown. One of the top guys in charge of setting the agenda has been caught not following it. The message that sends is that no one has to follow it. What an absolute bellend.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Jak* wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:54 am I love the irony that both Johnson and May are now calling for closer cooperation amongst countries, after spending the last four years trying to convince us that close cooperation with our neighbouring countries was a bad idea, and in Johnson’s case still seeking to reduce such cooperation. :D
Cheers
No irony at all May was a remainer in chief and Johnson is talking about co operation in things like covid plus we want to open up this country to the world and not be reliant on a failing ponzi scheme called the eu who has covered itself in glory recently and now has even more problems coming from Germany. Co operatiopn does not mean being rule by them... simples really

cheers Spud ;)

Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Brenhden wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:07 am
Redmurty wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:45 am So "Professor Lock down" made an "error of judgement" and went for a bonk (got caught this time which is his second time), he stated he believed he was immune after a positive test, so where was he wrong with his original figures which led to the "lock down", he has been wrong in the past, or is he wrong about immunity but there is back up evidence coming out of Korea about immunity?

Cheers Spud ;)
This is the sort of thing which is extremely bad for the lockdown. One of the top guys in charge of setting the agenda has been caught not following it. The message that sends is that no one has to follow it. What an absolute bellend.
think you are missing the point Bren, he said he thought he was immune. Now does he know something that we are not being told ? Evidence of immunity is coming out of Korea. Sweden has not done a lock down and their death rate is lower than ours and yes they have a smaller community.

Prof Cockswole Lockdown has just issued a press release..... "thank you all plebes for staying indoors in has cut the journey times down for my bonks drastically"

The Scottish health minister was breaking lock down rules as well..... hmmmmmmm

cheers Spud ;)

Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Redmurty wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:21 am

Cheers Spud ;)
think you are missing the point Bren, he said he thought he was immune. Now does he know something that we are not being told ? Evidence of immunity is coming out of Korea. Sweden has not done a lock down and their death rate is lower than ours and yes they have a smaller community.

Prof Cockswole Lockdown has just issued a press release..... "thank you all plebes for staying indoors in has cut the journey times down for my bonks drastically"

cheers Spud ;)
Not at all, that nonesense about him thinking he is immune is just an excuse about getting caught, it had no bearing on his behavior, much like the scottish minister, all of us think that 'everyone' means everyone except me. Immune or not if you touch something with a virus on it you will carry it around. I terms of his data, his CV is astonishing and he is a real expert on these things and widely respected in the scientific community in spite of the spin in the media about him being critisised. All science is critisised, thats how science works.

I guess I understand what you mean about not being told things. Straight up science is hard to interpret by a population and everyone, scientists included, let it guide their actions in different ways. The goverment (which I did not vote for and am not a fan of) need to get people to behave a certain way, to do this they tell a certain story that gets them what they want. This story isn't written by scientists, it's written by behavioral experts who understand how people behave.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Brenhden wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:36 am
Redmurty wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:21 am

Cheers Spud ;)

cheers Spud ;)
Not at all, that nonesense about him thinking he is immune is just an excuse about getting caught, it had no bearing on his behavior, much like the scottish minister, all of us think that 'everyone' means everyone except me. Immune or not if you touch something with a virus on it you will carry it around. I terms of his data, his CV is astonishing and he is a real expert on these things and widely respected in the scientific community in spite of the spin in the media about him being critisised. All science is critisised, thats how science works.

I guess I understand what you mean about not being told things. Straight up science is hard to interpret by a population and everyone, scientists included, let it guide their actions in different ways. The goverment (which I did not vote for and am not a fan of) need to get people to behave a certain way, to do this they tell a certain story that gets them what they want. This story isn't written by scientists, it's written by behavioral experts who understand how people behave.
wasn't he the great expert who got "mad cow" wrong ? no one is an expert in Covid 19 anyone who say's they are following the science on this is erm exaggerating as the science does not fully understand it yet hence the panic.

so you are happy to follow a mans science that believes these things don't count him in ? If he is that cavalier about his behaviour why then would he not be the same regarding his work ?

I wonder how many extra death's will eventually be reported because of lack of care for none covid related health issues like strokes and heart attacks and people not getting cancer treatments

in any case hope you and yours are well and safe

cheers Spud ;)

Return to “THE PUB”