Covid 19 Coronavirus

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Elmer J Fudd

Re: Covid 19 Coronavirus

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

A major issue is that we are no longer predisposed to believe politicians. They have told so many lies, for so long, we all just ignore them. Rock up Bobo the Clown and we all wave him off with a yea, yea. Then it's too late.....

Add in all the internet / FB trolls who take umbrage at the drop of a hat (from both (or multiple) sides of any argument) and is it any wonder it's all going to hell? then add the "social influencers" (who haven't a clue) and it can be seen as a societal problem that has been inbred into the culture of ME and it won't be easily fixed.

I was out for a trundle on Sunday, just over 150 miles, all the local hills had cars at the bottom, car parks at Aberfoyle busy, Dukes Pass car parks and sides of roads busy , Callander busy. Camper vans and caravans everywhere. Can't say for sure who was isolating properly, but probably wasn't just me. I didn't bother stopping at all and got home with a bit of a sore bum, but a small price to pay.

On a more fun note: I popped into Tesco tonight and bought bread (too late to make some tonight) and I could buy bread, butter and pretty much anything vegetarian, but if I fancied a tinnie, or bottle, of beer or lager..... not a chance not a single one to be had.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

just looked up GHG .. green house gas .. in Wikipedia.
It says, in percentage figures, that the green house effect is mostly by water vapour and clouds,
these are twice that of all the other effects put together.
So, this confirms my scepticism of the anthropogenic basis of `global warming`.
(though there is bound to be some contribution.)

warning shot from mother nature? .. perhaps more the effect of careful management of huge populations on the planet .. a miracle of human achievement that we all know is unsustainable and very finely balanced and precarious, as this outbreak shows.

the ca[italist system of growth growth growth ? … surely this has got to stop at some time.
Competition is good, but in the end it is co operation that will succeed ..??
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Boris has finally pulled the pin on the 'social isolation' grenade.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

garyboy wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:25 pm just looked up GHG .. green house gas .. in Wikipedia.
It says, in percentage figures, that the green house effect is mostly by water vapour and clouds,
these are twice that of all the other effects put together.
So, this confirms my scepticism of the anthropogenic basis of `global warming`.
(though there is bound to be some contribution.)

warning shot from mother nature? .. perhaps more the effect of careful management of huge populations on the planet .. a miracle of human achievement that we all know is unsustainable and very finely balanced and precarious, as this outbreak shows.

the ca[italist system of growth growth growth ? … surely this has got to stop at some time.
Competition is good, but in the end it is co operation that will succeed ..??
I won't be entering into an exchange with you on this Gary, because there really is no point, and I don't think you'd gain anything from it. Except to say that you are completely, utterly, and empirically wrong. For your own sake, do some proper basic research about anthropogenic climate change. At the level of the essentials, this is basic Year 8 science. If you think that 'the jury is still out' on this, then you are wrong, or terribly misled. The genuine, serious scientific community is settled on this issue. How we all tackle climate change is a different matter, a policy matter, and that can be argued about.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I will say that I understand your faith in `science`, Dave, .. but in my 71 years on this planet, I have seen `science` proved wrong, changed, altered to suit, misunderstood, shifted paradigms, debunked and renewed.

Historically, look at Newton, then Einstein, then .. wots that fella ?.. Heisenberg ? with quantum physics !!
whole new sea changes of understanding of our physical Universe. .. yet almost totally believed by the masses until the new ideas came forward.

Of course climate change has been affected by human intervention .. but intervention in nature's ability to regenerate,
Look at all the volcanic eruptions that have changed our climate .. far more than present day vehicle emissions ..

although clean air is very welcome, out vehicle and factory and farming pollution is not the main source of climate change, in fact climate change is more a cyclic event more effected by the tilt of the earths axis, or other astronomical forces, including the suns output and jupiters events etc etc etc.

Even so, we all welcome clean air, and I find it incomprehensible that we have allowed ait pollution to get to this stage .. nice to see satellite imagery reflecting our present air cleanse even though due to our recent unfortunate event.

ps .. apologies .. I DID bait you .. a bit 8-)
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

It's simple. Be the second little piggy....

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

That reminds me .. must go to market for some roast beef 8-)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

.. but will run, all the way home .. 8-)
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52052694
Boris proves once again that even in times of crisis his only rival in the stupidest world leader contest is Trump.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Jak* wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:19 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52052694
Boris proves once again that even in times of crisis his only rival in the stupidest world leader contest is Trump.
Yeah, it's just extraordinary isn't it? He has linked his survival so closely to brexit that he can't even subsume it at a time of international crisis.

The EU reaches out to the UK, when it did not have to, as part of an international collaboration effort. And the UK throws the offer back in its face based on ideological obsession. Covid is making brexit look like the most disgracefully self-indulgent act of needless, immature self-harm.

Return to “THE PUB”