Rain/Flooding

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
SteveW

Rain/Flooding

Post by SteveW »

We're thankfully not located by the banks of a river, but the land is sodden. Locally fields are as wet as I've ever seen them.
I'm located in an area with a lot of arable farming, God knows what damage is being done.
We've got main drains blocked and overflowing resulting in some smaller roads being closed.
The short term weather forecast doesn't look great either.
I'm sure we are probably getting off lightly......how's it effecting you?
bikenav

Re: Rain/Flooding

Post by bikenav »

I live on a lump so OK and dont think the rain has been quite so bad locally But the larger rivers in the area looking impressive yesterday, the little bike boys out the weekend report the trails are really chopped up in places and the well known Sarn Helen to be impassable due to a bridge out. Selfishly the small road riding is more interesting due to all silt/gravel left behind by the water and I enjoy that, but you really got feel for the people who have been victims of flooding but at the same time question recent builds on flood plains.
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Yep - same over here, ground saturated & water levels very high with localised flooding. Chomping at the bit to get out for a bit of Pike fishing but will have to wait a while yet :(
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

I am a volunteer rider for Blood Bikes Wales (West Area) and had a call last week to rendezvous at Ross-on-Wye with the West Midlands Freewheelers to collect baby milk which they had picked up in Birmingham and was urgently needed by our local Special Care Baby Unit.
Ross-on-Wye was severely affected by flooding, so the M4-M50-M5 usual route was not viable.

I was already out and about as I had already taken an urgent blood sample from Cardiff University Hospital Wales up to rendezvous with the Powys Blood Bikes near Builth Wells as it was needed in North Wales (Powys Blood Bikes rendezvous with North West Wales Blood Bikes).

The Powys Rider advised me that getting to Worcester and down to Ross via the A44 was a non-starter; Hereford was also cut off by floodwater so I was considering going back down to the M4, over the Severn Bridge and up the M5 to Strensham Services to meet the West Midlands Freewheelers but the volunteer Blood Bikes Controller advised me that the Severn Bridges were closed to motorcycles due to high winds!

'Plan C' was to try getting from Hay-on-Wye to Ross via Monmouth but when I got to Monmouth, the Police had closed the A40 due to flooding!

A 30 mile detour through the country lanes eventually got me to the other side of the flooded area where I met up with the West Midlands Freewheelers outside Ross. Options to get back to South Wales were:

M50-M5 -Gloucester and down the Severn Valley (Severn Bridges still closed to high-sided vehicles and motorcycles);
Try going back the way I'd came but the lanes were gridlocked with all the motorway traffic;
Trying my luck via the Forest of Dean and the A48- which I did.

The baby milk got delivered to the SCBU, the blood sample arrived safely in North Wales- all because of a wonderful team of nationwide volunteer riders and co-ordinators of which I'm very proud to be a small part of.

Your Blood Bikes group needs you!
Cone

Post by Cone »

PaulinBont wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:49 am I am a volunteer rider for Blood Bikes Wales (West Area) and had a call last week to rendezvous at Ross-on-Wye with the West Midlands Freewheelers to collect baby milk which they had picked up in Birmingham and was urgently needed by our local Special Care Baby Unit.
Ross-on-Wye was severely affected by flooding, so the M4-M50-M5 usual route was not viable.

I was already out and about as I had already taken an urgent blood sample from Cardiff University Hospital Wales up to rendezvous with the Powys Blood Bikes near Builth Wells as it was needed in North Wales (Powys Blood Bikes rendezvous with North West Wales Blood Bikes).

The Powys Rider advised me that getting to Worcester and down to Ross via the A44 was a non-starter; Hereford was also cut off by floodwater so I was considering going back down to the M4, over the Severn Bridge and up the M5 to Strensham Services to meet the West Midlands Freewheelers but the volunteer Blood Bikes Controller advised me that the Severn Bridges were closed to motorcycles due to high winds!

'Plan C' was to try getting from Hay-on-Wye to Ross via Monmouth but when I got to Monmouth, the Police had closed the A40 due to flooding!

A 30 mile detour through the country lanes eventually got me to the other side of the flooded area where I met up with the West Midlands Freewheelers outside Ross. Options to get back to South Wales were:

M50-M5 -Gloucester and down the Severn Valley (Severn Bridges still closed to high-sided vehicles and motorcycles);
Try going back the way I'd came but the lanes were gridlocked with all the motorway traffic;
Trying my luck via the Forest of Dean and the A48- which I did.

The baby milk got delivered to the SCBU, the blood sample arrived safely in North Wales- all because of a wonderful team of nationwide volunteer riders and co-ordinators of which I'm very proud to be a small part of.

Your Blood Bikes group needs you!

I live very near to monmouth and have never seen the river so high. Biblins bridge was badly damaged
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

A week or so ago the river Usk broke record height and flooded Castle meadows and the fields further upstream, a car crossed the bridge there and got swept away the other side, luckily only a few yards where the fence stopped him
I've never seen it anywhere near that bad before.
All calmed down now, but everywhere is completely soddon, theres not been any appreciable periods of dry weather for 2 months now
Its a trick............get an Axe
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Firstly big hi 5 to Paulin bont

Secondly , i don't want to piss on anyones chips........................................hell yeh i do :twisted: 21c here today :twisted:
BUT ...........................its on it way , next 10 days solid rain :cry:

Return to “THE PUB”