All electric by Boris the Bogladite

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
garyboy

Re: All electric by Boris the Bogladite

Post by garyboy »

Politics indeed .. definitely.
Bollix indeed … probably.

.. but it is surprising (to me anyway) how mankind has advanced .. and can advance .. if there is a will. .. 8-)

.. just look at Brexit .. o .. no .. come to think of it .. don't :lol:
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

As far as cars are concerned, for me the most environmentally-friendly choice is what I've got...a third-hand Focus Mk II.

I intend to run it until it breaks. I'm not a 'daily driver', but when I do actually need the car it tends to be to go a long distance on a business trip. No current electric car has sufficient range for my needs, and I'm a £4k customer not a £40k customer so a Tesla is not in my reach. Frankly, if I did have a spare £40k I'd probably buy a field and turn it into a nature reserve/greyhound and trials-bike playground.

I don't care what the neighbours think or say about me, because I don't have any. :D
D16PJM

Post by D16PJM »

In the ideal world its fantastic, in reality we are a long way off for it to work.

for instance, where my father lived, 24 flats, 8 parking spaces everyone else off street, how are we all charging, not everyone has a drive.

Stopped at the service on Saturday, woman in a Nissan leaf sitting parked at one of 2 charging points trying to get enough juice to get her home, still waiting after i had eaten my lunch, used the facilities and did a bit of over priced shopping.

i would buy electric but it needs to be better range and quicker charging

Pete
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

My wife bought her Mini new in 2003 but only ever did 3k a year max so only done 38k now.
It’s in fantastic condition except for the aircon not cooling (duff kit, reboot didn’t work). Now we’re not working it barely gets used so almost not worth changing but bits of it are just getting old and it’s knowing when to draw the line.
We could go electric (and it would suit us well) but can’t remotely justify the expense for the 1k a year max we are doing now as I struggle to get in and out of it.

We live in the sticks so public transport barely registers on the radar.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

DavidS wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:50 am My wife bought her Mini new in 2003 but only ever did 3k a year max so only done 38k now.
It’s in fantastic condition except for the aircon not cooling (duff kit, reboot didn’t work). Now we’re not working it barely gets used so almost not worth changing but bits of it are just getting old and it’s knowing when to draw the line.
We could go electric (and it would suit us well) but can’t remotely justify the expense for the 1k a year max we are doing now as I struggle to get in and out of it.

We live in the sticks so public transport barely registers on the radar.
By the time you’ve bought a car, tax, insurance and ran it for that mileage, even living in the sticks, you might well be better off using taxis - crunch the numbers, you may be surprised.
When I worked in London as a part time mini-cab driver in the early 80s I was surprised how many families didn’t have a car and used cabs for the majority of their trips. When I asked them they all said it was cheaper than owning a car.
This, I suspect, will be a future model for urban young people - look at the popularity of Uber.
Cheers
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

There is, sadly, a huge flaw in your argument.
Taxis cost a fortune as they have to come anything up to 8 miles to pick you up.
Buses are only once hour but only day time and not Sundays and don’t go anywhere we would want to go and even then very slowly.
Even getting to the nearest station, which is 2 miles away by taxi, costs around £12 or maybe more now.

We wouldn’t change it for anything though.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Cone

Post by Cone »

I over took a Nissan leaf on the motorway the other day. I guess he had a long journey to do (or not) as he was slip streaming a truck at 56 mpg and wearing a coat woolly hat and gloves

I guess he was too scared to put his heater on in fear of not getting home....

I'm sticking to petrol for the next few years lol
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

If there is a profit in it, for both Corporations and Government, then we as consumers will be forced to pay for it. This, above all else, will be the driving force behind the change.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Whilst this does not in anyway solve all the problems it does show the direction things are likely to go in.https://www.morebikes.co.uk/news/67783/ ... dium=email
There is also an interesting long term review of one of the Zero models in the latest Mag News.
Cheers
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

When do they start taxing electric charging to the same level as petrol/diesel? As soon as enough people convert?
Then they lose the ‘cheap motoring’ con. Electric cars will need to provide the equivalent tax revenue.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R

Return to “THE PUB”