Post by Asgard »

Elmer,a Tesla battery weighs about half a Ton
The smallest road legal electric motorcycle batteries I know of are about 80kg
Its a trick............get an Axe
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: All electric by Boris the Bogladite

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

garyboy wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:48 pm
redbikejohn wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:39 pm There was something being shared on fb the other day ..... imagine a accident on a motorway or heavy snow. Tailback is adding hours to journey or perhaps the motorway is shut. This happens quite often in the uk. Now imagine the majority are electric vehicles and hundreds if not thousands run out of oomph?! Do we have to carry emergency petrol generators just like we carry a pump/charge pack now? This is a serious question. Maybe they will develop a disposable chemical chargepak that you can crack open and it produces enough power to partially charge batteries. I think hybrid vehicles are the only real world solution. A small 2 or 3 cylinder backup engine for emergencies.

probably a small electric power pack (or reserve personal supply) would be compulsory for such emergencies.
(or perhaps emergency elec stations or charge points/lines)
.. it is interesting how our little petrol brains have to try to envisage new scenarios and new answers for this new scene.

But would that actually be a problem?
As soon as an EV stops moving, the motor stops drawing power. When the vehicle slows in stop-start traffic, some energy is recovered. The only current draw would be lights and cabin heater.
The real problem in winter is depleted range...for a Nissan van it falls from 120 to 80 miles due to the low ambient temperature.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

never thought of that ..
we certainly got to think in different ways now, for electric vehicles.
atm a crash is made worse by liquid fuel spills,
but what about say 50-100 EVs crashing into each other with all those batteries mashing together?
.. or, hydrogen plants getting mashed together?
.. or overloads to inducted electricity?

I reckons STEAM .. go back to the old technology oi says .. much safer ..

Image86738720_2961033540602082_7636759393421230080_n by gary boy, on Flickr

Image86728065_2961033597268743_6930005203261325312_n by gary boy, on Flickr
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Gary, by the time electric vehicles become the majority they will be driverless .......... then your life is in the hands of the guy who wrote the software :?
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

I did read that there is plenty of battery technology 'in the pipeline'. Batteries that will fully charge in 10 minutes and another type that can have the electrolyte swapped (thereby resulting in full charge) at a filling station just like filling up with petrol. However all this stuff needs to be drip fed into the world cos the world economy would fail if the oil industry was made redundant overnight 😉
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Asgard wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:30 pm Elmer,a Tesla battery weighs about half a Ton
The smallest road legal electric motorcycle batteries I know of are about 80kg
Weight isn't the problem it is how the battery is designed to be integrated in a standard manner that would need to be overcome.

The issue being different manufacturers wanting their design not a standard one (think Apple, who have had at least five different connectors on their tech). Ban non-standard from sale and they will have to work together. (USB3)

Return to “THE PUB”