Achilles Tendon help!!!

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Redmurty
Posts: 11676
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:44 pm
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Achilles Tendon help!!!

Post by Redmurty » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:16 am

A tendon has very little bloody supply so take time to heal, you state that you injury your heel previously so it was not another injury but a continuation of the previous one.

Ice there is no evidence that ice actually does much to heal an injury and may actually end up stopping or prolonging the healing process. You injure yourself and the body swells that swelling is part of the healing process so what do we get told to do, take anti inflams and ice. Use ice only for pain relief.

Hanging off a step could also be harmful to your injury heel/Achilles only do this exercise if you have a fully functional ankle other wise you could be putting further stress on the injury.

Find someone who knows how to treat the soft tissue, tight calfs etc and who is capable of mobilising your ankle. Then do mobilisation drills this should remove the cause of the stress to the area and then allowing healing to take place.

cheers Spud ;)
Last edited by Redmurty on Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal



You don't waste time... you waste yourself

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
User avatar
garyboy
Posts: 2618
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:14 pm
Location: Pontypridd
Has thanked: 1087 times
Been thanked: 420 times

Re: Achilles Tendon help!!!

Post by garyboy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:57 am

I agree with the above post 8-)

Although I didn't do it myself :roll: it makes sense to go the legit way and see the doctor, scans, specialists .. followed by good physio . 8-) .. and professional advice !!

Apparently, injuries to ligaments and tendons take a lot longer than to bones.
I had a relatively small off a few years ago, and it took a couple of years to feel that my one leg, caught under the heavy DR 350 frame, had come right, being in pain, at the ankle, for months previously, and still, many years later, walk with a slight limp and seem to have a twist in my leg .. but that could be imagination or from being accustomed to walking like that for a couple of years .. :?:

Redmurty
Posts: 11676
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:44 pm
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Achilles Tendon help!!!

Post by Redmurty » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:14 pm

Redmurty wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:16 am
A tendon has very little bloody supply so take time to heal, you state that you injury your heel previously so it was not another injury but a continuation of the previous one.

Ice there is no evidence that ice actually does much to heal an injury and may actually end up stopping or prolonging the healing process. You injury yourself and the body swells that swelling is part of the healing process so what do we get told to do, take anti inflams and ice. Use ice only for pain relief.

Hanging off a step could also be harmful to your injury heel/Achilles only do this exercise if you have a fully functional ankle other wise you could be putting further stress on the injury.

Find someone who knows how to treat the soft tissue, tight calfs etc and who is capable of mobilising your ankle. Then do mobilisation drills this should remove the cause of the stress to the area and then allowing healing to take place.

cheers Spud ;)
further to this standing on a step and dropping your heels do's not stretch both main calf muscles and does not replicate the standing position on your bike, to do this try the following.........

Stand facing a wall for about 3 hours to you fakin wise up......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

or

stand facing a wall with your toes touching the skirting board. Turn your toes inwards ie big toes towards each other, this will stop your cheating on the stretch. Now try and touch the wall with your knee caps if you are successful shuffle back slightly and repeat. this will stretch soleus part of the calf structures and low and behold will eventually replicate your stance on ya bike.

Most people will try to stretch their calf with their feet turned out, they then roll to the inside of the foot which gives them movement which they then believe is coming from the ankle DOH! :roll: :oops:

all advice FOC! and I take no responsibility for it's miss use by numpties........ :shock: ;)




cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal



You don't waste time... you waste yourself

bill_qaz
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:53 pm
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 192 times

Re: Achilles Tendon help!!!

Post by bill_qaz » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:25 pm

deleted.
Last edited by bill_qaz on Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Redmurty
Posts: 11676
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:44 pm
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Achilles Tendon help!!!

Post by Redmurty » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:43 pm

bill_qaz wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:25 pm
Redmurty wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:14 pm
Redmurty wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:16 am
A tendon has very little bloody supply so take time to heal, you state that you injury your heel previously so it was not another injury but a continuation of the previous one.

Ice there is no evidence that ice actually does much to heal an injury and may actually end up stopping or prolonging the healing process. You injury yourself and the body swells that swelling is part of the healing process so what do we get told to do, take anti inflams and ice. Use ice only for pain relief.

Hanging off a step could also be harmful to your injury heel/Achilles only do this exercise if you have a fully functional ankle other wise you could be putting further stress on the injury.

Find someone who knows how to treat the soft tissue, tight calfs etc and who is capable of mobilising your ankle. Then do mobilisation drills this should remove the cause of the stress to the area and then allowing healing to take place.

cheers Spud ;)
further to this standing on a step and dropping your heels do's not stretch both main calf muscles and does not replicate the standing position on your bike, to do this try the following.........

Stand facing a wall for about 3 hours to you fakin wise up......... :lol: :lol: :lol:


or

stand facing a wall with your toes touching the skirting board. Turn your toes inwards ie big toes towards each other, this will stop your cheating on the stretch. Now try and touch the wall with your knee caps if you are successful shuffle back slightly and repeat. this will stretch soleus part of the calf structures and low and behold will eventually replicate your stance on ya bike.

Most people will try to stretch their calf with their feet turned out, they then roll to the inside of the foot which gives them movement which they then believe is coming from the ankle DOH! :roll: :oops:

all advice FOC! and I take no responsibility for it's miss use by numpties........ :shock: ;)




cheers Spud ;)
The dropping your heal on a step is for Achilles tendon stretch, I didn't mention calf, it was given to me by physio whilst being treated for Achilles tendon injury. I have also had ankle ligament damage and this was completely different and took six months to walk unaided. The OP said the Achilles was not ruptured but strained and that's what the heel drop exercises are specifically for.
But you should visit a professional to avoid risking further damage.

why on earth would you want to stretch a ligament or tendon ? stretching one is considered an injury ? you stretch the muscle NOT the tendon. The film is this thread mentions the calf muscle and never states you stretch the tendon, actually not a bad film if you have the flexibility of that you lady.This is the problem when people try to stretch they place the emphasis on the wrong area.

If you are in my area you are welcome to attend my clinic and I'll run you through the stretches FOC as an ABR member

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal



You don't waste time... you waste yourself

dibbs
Posts: 761
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:42 pm
Location: Essex
Has thanked: 267 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: Achilles Tendon help!!!

Post by dibbs » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:38 pm

Thanks for your kind offer Redmurty/Spud, but i think Essex is too far away from you! Quick update is the ibuprofen has reduced the inflamation around the tendon area and i can now walk with only a slight limp, so have begun some of the gentle exsercises suggested, the one with knees bent to touch the wall seems good and doesnt put too much stress on the area. At least hopefully im on the road to recovery and wiil be good for the ABR festival lol....... :D

Tramp
Posts: 7311
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:04 am
Has thanked: 252 times
Been thanked: 422 times

Re: Achilles Tendon help!!!

Post by Tramp » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:59 pm

All I can say is Spud knows what he's talking about and I can vouch for his work on my wrist a few years ago, I drove from Southampton to Birmingham and back in one day after a dislocation and double fracture 8 weeks prior in France...

A good sports physio is worth their weight in gold coins... So doctors and videos 1hour with them and listen carefully and you'll be well on road to recovery...

Hope the wife and dogs are okay spud...

Redmurty
Posts: 11676
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:44 pm
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Achilles Tendon help!!!

Post by Redmurty » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:39 am

Tramp wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:59 pm
All I can say is Spud knows what he's talking about and I can vouch for his work on my wrist a few years ago, I drove from Southampton to Birmingham and back in one day after a dislocation and double fracture 8 weeks prior in France...

A good sports physio is worth their weight in gold coins... So doctors and videos 1hour with them and listen carefully and you'll be well on road to recovery...

Hope the wife and dogs are okay spud...

all good here tramp hope you are faring well mate

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal



You don't waste time... you waste yourself

Redmurty
Posts: 11676
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:44 pm
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Achilles Tendon help!!!

Post by Redmurty » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:43 am

dibbs wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:38 pm
Thanks for your kind offer Redmurty/Spud, but i think Essex is too far away from you! Quick update is the ibuprofen has reduced the inflamation around the tendon area and i can now walk with only a slight limp, so have begun some of the gentle exsercises suggested, the one with knees bent to touch the wall seems good and doesnt put too much stress on the area. At least hopefully im on the road to recovery and wiil be good for the ABR festival lol....... :D
happy to help most people mate :lol: those who know me will know what I mean by that :oops:

when stretching you need to feel the stretch in the belly of the muscle if not there is an issue. A stretch does not have to be painful mild discomfort is acceptable pain is not, pain is a warning.

Go for mobility you can have the most flexibly muscle in the world if the joint is dysfunctional not a lot is going to improve.

Take care

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal



You don't waste time... you waste yourself

smudger272
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 4:41 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Achilles Tendon help!!!

Post by smudger272 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:02 pm

Well we need to address the Elephant 🐘 in the room first
You’re getting on a bit now so just call it a day
Just saying

Post Reply

Return to “THE PUB”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mad Hatter and 71 guests