'Appalling damage' to Newport ancient burial mound

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
OB1

'Appalling damage' to Newport ancient burial mound

Post by OB1 »

This is sad: 'Appalling damage' to Newport ancient burial mound

It's quite clear that many of the tracks are from 4x4 vehicles but, as we all know, bikers will get the brunt of the blame.

I sit on both sides of the fence when things like this crop up as I do like to ride the trails but I am also strongly for the protection of all ancient monuments. As I have not visited the site, I cannot say if there is adequate signage.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
steve the grease

Re: 'Appalling damage' to Newport ancient burial mound

Post by steve the grease »

OB1 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:50 pm This is sad: 'Appalling damage' to Newport ancient burial mound

It's quite clear that many of the tracks are from 4x4 vehicles but, as we all know, bikers will get the brunt of the blame.

I sit on both sides of the fence when things like this crop up as I do like to ride the trails but I am also strongly for the protection of all ancient monuments. As I have not visited the site, I cannot say if there is adequate signage.
Well I'm not sure anyome is blaming bikes , the tyre marks on all the images I saw look obviously 4x4. Sadly though idiots like this undo all the good work done by other groups such as Glass and TRF ( to name two) who campaign for increased access to unsurfaced routes. It's hardly any wonder that 'Countryside Groups' ( to give them a blanket title) succeed in getting lanes closed and access reduced when damage like this occurs. For crying out loud guys, just pay twenty quid to teararse round an old quarry somewhere with plenty of muddy mounds to trash to your hearts content.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

steve the grease wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:14 pmWell I'm not sure anyome is blaming bikes , the tyre marks on all the images I saw look obviously 4x4.

I followed the Twitter link in on the web page: there were people blaming it on bikes.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

OK , I 'm not on Twitter , so I was not aware of those comments personally. However , when I look at the image(s) I see parallel tyre tracks and I don't see knobbly tracks , so I would say that their observations are not accurate, and cannot be justified.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

steve the grease wrote:OK , I 'm not on Twitter , so I was not aware of those comments personally. However , when I look at the image(s) I see parallel tyre tracks and I don't see knobbly tracks , so I would say that their observations are not accurate, and cannot be justified.
It doesn't matter if it was bike or car, we all get the bloody blame
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “THE PUB”