Used bike prices, am I missing something?.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Tink

Re: Used bike prices, am I missing something?.

Post by Tink »

minkyhead wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:28 pm never met anyone selling somthing that wont take cash .... in this age of dodgy dealings ..cash is simple ..you hand it over or you dont ...you get it or you dont get it ..and vicea versa ....
dead simple for me if you dont pay in person in cash i aint selling it to you ..... works ok for me
Your bang on 👍👍.....
DgTrail

Post by DgTrail »

Is there a limit to how much you'd take in cash and if so why?

I'd always worry about forgeries, on the other hand I'm surprised how many people take a bank transfer and don't actually check it has cleared before their valuable asset disappears.

I did once sell a caravan for a mate and despite counting the cash several times it was £200 short when I recounted it after they had gone. It was in 50, 20 10 and 5's. Funny thing is they brought it back as the roof leaked and didn't question me handing back the cash minus the £200 they had a receipt for.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

minkyhead wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:28 pm never met anyone selling somthing that wont take cash .... in this age of dodgy dealings ..cash is simple ..you hand it over or you dont ...you get it or you dont get it ..and vicea versa ....
dead simple for me if you dont pay in person in cash i aint selling it to you ..... works ok for me
I fully understand that and must admit this was previously my opinion too but having had to collect a car from a seller during Banking hours (so that he could pay the cash straight into the bank incase it was counterfeit) I have changed my mind. I've also had questions asked when paying cash from a bike sale into my account and stood there nervously incase any of it was counterfeit. Since then I prefer to use debit card unless the seller objects.

In the future more and more bikes/cars will be on finance and the only way to make sure it is paid off is to pay it on your debit card, at the sellers address, whilst they are logged in to their finance account. It tells you the amount needed to clear the finance, you pay the amount and state you are the vehicle buyer and it gives you an instant email confirmation that it has cleared.
I was very sceptical the first time and the bike had not been snapped up because other prospective buyers were put off, consequently I got a cheap bike.

If you stick to just dealing in cash then the opportunity to buy or sell will reduce. You could also get caught out with dodgy money with no trace of who actually bought your bike or you could buy a bike for cash and he doesn't pay off the finance.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “THE PUB”