Noisy Bikes / Police "Crack Down"

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Noisy Bikes / Police "Crack Down"

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Too right.

I once watched a TV programme about an August Bank Holiday motorcycle run from London to Brighton.

So, you've got all these poor sods who have to ride in London traffic all day, every day.

then, it's bank holiday...they could go anywhere, but they get together and create a special traffic jam all the way to Brighton, which, is a crowded horrible little town at the best of times.

Why???
Thedktor

Post by Thedktor »

Jak* wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:08 am . I get that when you are in your teens and early twenties you may have a desire to show off and make people look at you, if you are still doing that in your forties or older, you have probably got serious issues.
Cheers Jak
Well, here's a thing, I am a long way past 40 but I still like power, and speed, and something that sounds "purposeful".

My bikes don't run open pipes though, not only is there a limit to what is socially acceptable, but its pretty annoying riding something droning away constantly!
- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

OK, I'm going to be the odd one out by the sound of it. I've had a long biking career on sports bikes, almost always featuring full systems. I love the sound of a sports bike at full chat roaring along on the pipe. I love the rumble of a Ducati with a Termi. I love the howl of a 675 triple at 12,000 revs ripping up the tarmac via an akra. And I love the sound of a start-line full of V-twins sporting full-race systems taking off towards the first corner at Brands (I was one of them once...). When I was just a teenie, I would listen out for a guy on an early Z650 who would charge down our road every evening on his way home, with an Alfa can booming, and it was one of the things that got me into biking in the first place.

Of course I can also see that it could seriously piss you off to have loads of loud bikes cutting up the night right past your house; I can totally see that. And I keep my Beta 450 greenlaner standard for the very reason that I don't want to make enemies of local farmers out on the trails (and there's v little bhp to be gained from what is an expensive mod on a single thumper anyway). So it's not a straightforward 'for or against' issue. I've heard the 'loud pipes save lives' argument, and seen the stickers, but I'm not quite so convinced by that - although there will no doubt be the odd case where someone hearing a pipe stopped them from pulling out or crossing the road in front of a bike. It's complicated.

I'm a big supporter of the inevitable and important move from IC-engined bikes to electric ones. Obviously one part of the discussion either in favour or against electric vehicles is how quiet they are. Much less anti-social perhaps, but also harder for pedestrians to hear. Again, it's complex.

What I can't forget is that loud fruity pipes have played a major role in my own biking life and I certainly won't be campaigning against them just because I am now supposed to be older and more sensible.
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

Trev wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:14 pm . I get wanting too ride a bike in the quiet countryside, I really do, it's lovely, but why of why do people want to do it with hundreds of other like minded lemmings, you may as well sit in a traffic jam
Yep spot on, I've never understood that group thing either, one or two mates yes but a whole bloody crowd, what's the point ? To me biking is, or at least was, about being an individual ( altogether now , " yes, we are all individuals" :lol: )

Here in France it's the same with large groups of bikes on a Sunday but at least they're spread out in a larger country.
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

I take great pride in how quiet mine is.

Not once has one of my neighbours said "we heard you going to work at 05:30 this morning" and that's the way I like it.....

D
paulcobb72

Post by paulcobb72 »

zimtim wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:04 am Where I live there are about 6 bikes, unfortunately my KTM is the loudest. All neighbours know when I go out and come back. But it is not excessively loud.
And we all ride with due care and respect for our neighbors.

By far the worst offenders for loud exhaust are the cars.
We have a small fiat with aftermarket exhaust that goes to work at 6am. Closely followed by a small ford who not only has a loud exhaust but also a blow by the header.
There is a BMW 5 series badged up as an M3 with loud pipes drives like a duck.

Then the loudest of all is an old balding knob with an Mercedes AMG convertible who drive down road reving his engine so everyone knows he is home.

Hope the police stop all with loud exhaust and not only the bikers
Sure the crackdown should apply across. I support.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

You should hear the noise my neighbour's Massey 135 makes when he's scraping out after milking!
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Just had a few weeks in Canada.
Niagara Falls is the chav capital....Every pick up truck (seemingly 30% of the vehicles) have crobba crobba exhausts and then the ape hanger Harley saddos with stupidly loud exhausts are just cruising round looking tough but not actually going anywhere.

Probably 90% of the bikes we saw were silly loud Harleys but it was embarrassing having to overtake them in our Hyundai Santa Fe as they rode sooooo slowly, even out in the sticks.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R

Return to “THE PUB”