Goodbye Capt. America

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
daveuprite

Goodbye Capt. America

Post by daveuprite »

R.I.P. Peter Fonda

I was never ever a harley / chopper type of biker, but Easy Rider introduced a way of living around bikes to so many of us, back in the day when riding was also part of the peace movement. So sad that thinking seems to have gone, but the film lives on...

dodursley

Re: Goodbye Capt. America

Post by dodursley »

Easy Ride was on the box last night, just caught the ending, how appropriate, had been watching Woodstock.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

dodursley wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:44 am Easy Ride was on the box last night, just caught the ending, how appropriate, had been watching Woodstock.
Yeah that Woodstock footage was amazing wasn't it? Really feels like a different era now.
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

"Yeah that Woodstock footage was amazing wasn't it? Really feels like a different era now."

Whatever cannot be monetarised , must be destroyed.

This countrys free festival network of the seventies went two ways, one was the "New age" travellers' convoy' destroyed at the battle of the beanfield.

Also the stamping out of 'Illegal raves' and squatting.
The other is the corporate festival culture exemplified by Glamping at Glasto £950 for a 2 person tent for 4 nights Plus the festival ticket at £248 this year.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

steve the grease wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:41 pm "Yeah that Woodstock footage was amazing wasn't it? Really feels like a different era now."

Whatever cannot be monetarised , must be destroyed.

This countrys free festival network of the seventies went two ways, one was the "New age" travellers' convoy' destroyed at the battle of the beanfield.

Also the stamping out of 'Illegal raves' and squatting.
The other is the corporate festival culture exemplified by Glamping at Glasto £950 for a 2 person tent for 4 nights Plus the festival ticket at £248 this year.
Yes, have to agree with you there Steve. I was one of 'the hawks' at stonehenge too. But I must admit I paid for Glastonbury several times in the 90s (last went in 2000). It's still a great festival and I watch it every year on the TV.

As you say, the conversion of free-spirit improvised gatherings into monetised organised entertainment is a feature of the last few decades. Easy Rider (and Woodstock) capture a time when a few visionary souls could 'arrange' and motivate a huge energy without a ticket office or a security guard.
Shidosan

Post by Shidosan »

It was a great film.... a great time... but then we were young and free spirited, hundreds of miles on my fizzy without a care.... and road tax :roll:

If you remember the 60's...... you weren't really there !!

The other man's grass was always... stronger !!

Stay young at heart

Cheers
It will be alright in the end.... if it's not alright.. it's not the end !
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

After my previous critique of capitalism , I thought I would reflect on my experience of the film Easy Rider. 'Easy Rider' was on at the Elisian in Cheadle Hulme as a double bill with 'The prime of Miss Jean Brodie'. I was 13 in 1969 and my parents went to see the two films before deciding if I would be allowed to go togo and see an X rated film at 13. I was allowed to go, but I don't think my folks were that impressed, my old man was more into 'Gilbert and Sullivan ' than Jimi hendrix and Steppenwolf. The film made a deep impression on me however, it has some very grown up themes for a youngster, philosophical questions like 'what are the limits to freedom' and that sort of thing. The tag line for the film is "A man went looking for America. And couldn't find it anywhere." . As a pissed off (just) teenager at the beginning of the seventies I can assure you that the soundtrack LP was on my turntable for a long time and several large posters adorned my bedroom walls.
Here are two links one to a review written at the time : https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/easy-rider-1969 and secondly a folder of locations from the film, both in the film and now, fascinating. https://www.flickr.com/photos/mrlocatio ... 2014064419
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

That flickr album of pics from the film and the same locations today is fascinating. Thanks.

Return to “THE PUB”