Yamaha xt660x Dilemma

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
hplp

Yamaha xt660x Dilemma

Post by hplp »

Hi all,

I thought id bring this up for discussion and see what others think.

I have a xt660x. Its fitted with the adventure type things like pannniers, sump guard, bark busters and the like.

Now I have added a few scratches and done quite a few miles, while I still enjoy the bike and it fulfills what I am currently doing, I want to start to look at doing a long trip on it with the view to more off-road adventures first.

The problem I am finding with the 'X' version is that I am somewhat limited by tyres in that the most offroad tyre I can get is the Avon Trailrider and thats about it. I have looked into changing it to a 'R' spec but this would involve changing the front forks and rear swingarm and unfortunately not just the rims.

If I change Id probabily get a xt660 tenere.

What do people think or has anyone any words of wisdom.....I like the engine and have serviced it meticulously since getting it and find this one reliable hence my caution changing it.

Any comments most welcome.
cozi70

Re: Yamaha xt660x Dilemma

Post by cozi70 »

Hello pal.
I owned an xtx prior to my current xtz and can agree about the limited off road tyre options,but would rebuilding your front to a 19" rim increase your options,and the same with a narrower 17 or 18" rear?
Yes the Z has a larger tank,and possibly less comfortable seat, but they can me quite over priced,but you current sump guard,hand guards could swap over.
hplp

Post by hplp »

Hey,

I looked at the viability of basicly converting it to R spec but didnt look at anything else as I thought that would put me into the standard much more common tyre options

Ideally if i could find a R with all the bits but a brocken engine Id go that route but its not something ive ever come across.

Catch 22 cost wise.

H
herman

Post by herman »

Buy a scabby XTR with a few miles on it, they will be cheap, they don't often go bang but can get rattily? The one I did was cosmetically challenged but went on to go half way round the world.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.

Return to “THE PUB”