Fellow Rider needs help after Wildfire.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
WillS

Fellow Rider needs help after Wildfire.

Post by WillS »

You may know Alan Holt who posts regularly on the forum.
Living in Spain close to the town of Flix in the Catalan region.
He had a nice off-grid house with Gite's for riders wanting to explore this fantastic region.
It was called the "Goodlife Farm".
We spend a few days last year riding this region with Alan.
Last week during the hot temperatures wildfires spread across large areas of Catalonia, and destroyed Alan's house.
He has lost everything, the house / home is completely destroyed. Alan has only just been allowed to the property to search for his three dogs. Unfortunately he has only found the remains. Very sad as Alan loved his dogs.
I believe some parts of the Gite are unaffected by the fire.
But Alan has now to start rebuilding his life and house, and really needs some help.
A gofund me account has been set up to help him. I am sure anything you can give would really help as he has lost everything.

www.gofundme.com/help-alan-get-started- ... 85b53442e2

Thanks for reading the post.
Will
zimtim

Re: Fellow Rider needs help after Wildfire.

Post by zimtim »

That guy has really been through it recently,
Not much but happy too help.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Oh that's bloody terrible. Poor soul. Can't imagine how he feels.

(If you read this Alan, very best wishes and I hope you can get back on your feet after such an awful thing to happen).

The least we can do is each send a small donation to help him out in his time of greatest need....
IanB

Post by IanB »

Done.

Take care Alan.
Time knows no limits for days such as these.............
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Perhaps someone going to the ABR rally could could organise a bit of fund raiser there,
even if it is just a bucket at the bar for spare coins etc
Agg(Skinny)

Post by Agg(Skinny) »

Bump for a good cause
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

So the latest is that the crowdfunding site has received about €2000 in donations - which is a good start. But just imagine for one moment that everything you own and care about - EVERYTHING - has been burnt to nothing. By a wildfire. You have to make a totally fresh start. Somewhere to live, food, clothes - absolutely everything. 2 grand is helpful, sure, but it's not going to keep you going for all that long, with a life to rebuild.

Poor Alan has lost the lot.

Nothing can replace his beloved pets, his records, his photos, his heirlooms and treasured possessions. But he is going to need at least some cash to survive, to put a roof over his head and to eat.

He's a member of our ABR forum! Let's help him out!

Even if it's just a tenner or twenty quid - it will make a massive difference to someone who is at rock bottom.

Go on. Do it right now....

http://www.gofundme.com/help-alan-get-s ... 85b53442e2
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Hi guys

Someone has given me a netbook, so i'm finally able to get online and see what has been going on outside what is now classed a disaster zone.

So, thanks to a farmer storing chicken manure inappropriately, a fire started 5km from my farm. 2hrs 20mins later, it had swept through my farm. My home was made from wood, treated against fire, but the heat was simply too much for everything. Keys, taps, in fact most metal items became molten or severely mishaped in the fire. Some things did survive, and I can't understand how. My KTM was sat alongside the concrete shed which survived, plastic tank full of fuel, the trees next to it burnt, but the bike was untouched. My tools in the garage survived as water poured into the garage from the wooden house above it. But on the day it happened, everything else had gone. My three dogs, two were found under the remians of my bed, one was found in the shower tray in the bathroom. Both laptops, every bit of paperwork, everything I had collected over the years of travelling. 5 generations of photos. I was left with the clothes I was wearing, my phone and €90 in my wallet. After 2 days work with 6 of my clostest friends here, we found the remains of the dogs by doing a fingertip search of the rubble, and managed to get water and electric back to the guesthouse. Guests had to have their holidays cancelled because its the only place I can live, and who would want to holiday in a post-apocalyptic landscape. My ex is still making life difficult for me, refusing to do anything on the farm or even pay half towards any repairs. But if I walk away, she will renovate it all. So i'm having to take stock and try to forge ahead with life.

My loose plan at the moment is to offer guided riding tours. I've done it casually, and the feedback was incredible. So to stop me losing my mind, i'm trying to focus on that. I've already got a group booked for September, god knows where they will stay, but when they found out what had happened, they said they would camp if they had to, but they were still coming for a weeks guided riding.

God, its nice to be talking bikes for a change. Not a day has passed that I havent cried for my dogs. Typing that has set me off again. I haven't got wifi at the farm, just a dodgy 3g connection, so I can't do much online. Yesterday, I went out on the KTM for some therapy, and when I returned, it was like riding onto the farm for the first time after the fire. The smell of burning lingers in the air. Everywhere you look there is this charred landscape that may take decades to recover. I'm in a scary place at the moment. So if you can help financially, thank you! If you just want to send me a message of support, thank you. I'm going to post this now and continue with my compensation claim form. Sorry for rambling.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

So sorry for the loss of the dogs which ment so much like mine do to me.... Id have hit the ex and burried her...

Chin up and good news the ktm survived, cant you claim off the farmer insurance or dont they and you have that sort of thing in Spain..
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

So sorry to hear this Alan, especially for your dogs.

God is there nothing an ex can't make worse?

Keep posting adverts for yout place and I'll try and book a trip over there next year and camp and ride :)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ

Return to β€œTHE PUB”