eBikes next

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
garyboy

Re: eBikes next

Post by garyboy »

DaveCon wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:44 pm
I think your battery needs a couple of discharge/charge cycles before you get the full benefit.

I was wondering this

as it came on line after half discharged
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

garyboy wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:32 pm
DaveCon wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:44 pm
I think your battery needs a couple of discharge/charge cycles before you get the full benefit.

I was wondering this

as it came on line after half discharged
batteries come in "hibernation" mode was it fully charged before going out, it took me hours to charge mine the first time as I had switched the charger on properly :oops:

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

The guy on the shop said it was fully charged and the battery indicator bars were showing full

He said he had tested the bike in the car park and everything was ok

But shortly into my epic ride home (first time for decades) I could see something was wrong .
But seems to be getting better?
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

What you have to remember is lithium batterys have a memory so need discharging then full charge then run down... Continually halfi charges buggers them up...
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Tramp wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:25 am What you have to remember is lithium batterys have a memory so need discharging then full charge then run down... Continually halfi charges buggers them up...
Oooooh not sure that's right :?:

The old NiCAD batteries needed a full discharge before you charge them up again. Continually charging them before they were empty meant they would eventually only partially discharge before packing up.

Lithium batteries are different. They can be charged at any point without suffering but if you let them discharge beyond a certain point, they are unrecoverable. The software in your device will stop using the battery before it reaches this point. However if you leave a partially discharged battery on a shelf, the charge will decay on its own and eventually go beyond the point of recovery. At £500ish a pop you don't want that happening

That's why the mantra is "finish your ride - charge your battery". Don't leave it sat there with less than 80% charge. ;)
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

DaveCon wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:15 am
Tramp wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:25 am What you have to remember is lithium batterys have a memory so need discharging then full charge then run down... Continually halfi charges buggers them up...
Oooooh not sure that's right :?:

The old NiCAD batteries needed a full discharge before you charge them up again. Continually charging them before they were empty meant they would eventually only partially discharge before packing up.

Lithium batteries are different. They can be charged at any point without suffering but if you let them discharge beyond a certain point, they are unrecoverable. The software in your device will stop using the battery before it reaches this point. However if you leave a partially discharged battery on a shelf, the charge will decay on its own and eventually go beyond the point of recovery. At £500ish a pop you don't want that happening

That's why the mantra is "finish your ride - charge your battery". Don't leave it sat there with less than 80% charge. ;)
I think that you're right about the nicad batteries 👍
Cone

Post by Cone »

garyboy wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:11 am The guy on the shop said it was fully charged and the battery indicator bars were showing full

He said he had tested the bike in the car park and everything was ok

But shortly into my epic ride home (first time for decades) I could see something was wrong .
But seems to be getting better?
You weren’t trying to ride over 15mph were you as you know the EU won’t permit that
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Always happy to be educated lol :oops:
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

DaveCon .. "That's why the mantra is "finish your ride - charge your battery". Don't leave it sat there with less than 80% charge"

:shock: :shock: :shock: o right !! 8-)

Cone .. "You weren’t trying to ride over 15mph were you as you know the EU won’t permit that

:lol: :lol: :lol: I ve had a word with mr. junker … so I should be ok for a few days?

Return to “THE PUB”