eBikes next

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
mark vb

Re: eBikes next

Post by mark vb »

DavidS wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:38 am I can avoid getting involved as my right knee has decided that cycling, battery assisted or not, is not a good idea.
The principle of them is great though and my wife and I would have been tempted otherwise.
No way to riding on the roads though...super scary round here.
Maybe get an electric tandem. We have friends with one and you could do the opposite of them, i.e. you on the 'slackers' rear seat, your wife on the front/steering seat :) Moustache do what looks like a great one....with two batteries giving good range!
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

I haven't used my mtb for a few years but when I did I had several incidences where walkers got the hump, one on a bridleway and two or three on footpaths or tracks on edge of field. On my own peddling slowly enjoying the sun and ended up getting moaned at walkers. Tried to explain that I was not doing any harm but but they just would not listen to reason. So no I cycle on road a piss everybody off 😜😜😜😜.
I do like the idea of ebike though.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

There are certain 'walking groups' that seem to take a pride in being miserable.

A few years back, I was cycling on the converted railway cycleway between Stroud and Nailsworth...a good traffic-free way to get out onto the trails around Nailsworth that used to be open to motorcycles.

A sunny Sunday, so the trail was crowded. Lots of little kids wobbling along, folk with dogs on leads etc, but everyone was being respectful of everyone else, and I'd even stopped and repaired a puncture in a kid's bike that looked like it would otherwise have cause a family meltdown.

Then, a 'walking group' hoves into view. Marching along 4 abreast so no one can get past in either direction. All ski-poles, expensive 'outdoor survival' clothing, scowling faces and mutterings about 'cyclists' and 'dogs' which 'shouldn't be allowed'. WTF?

There are loads of footpaths in the region, but no, they had to do their 'route march' along the cycleway, and then complain about the cycles. And what's with the everest gear...everyone else was in shorts and T-shirts?

All retired looking people too...if they wanted it quiet they could go out in the week.

Anyone would think they were looking for argument and confrontation...but why?
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Sadly that is repeated everywhere across the country Richard.
Anything over half a dozen walkers seem to be required to be ar*****es.
Cycling couples are generally ok, two guys cycling mostly, any number tend to be miserable 24 hours a day judging by their expressions and rarely respond to waves or hellos.

That said, we met a small group of elderly walkers on part of the Pilgrims Way a while ago. They seemingly grudgingly stepped aside and we all (6) did our usual cheery thank you’s and chuntered on our way.
Having done a loop we met them again about 15 minutes later...oh dear...but...oldest lady has beaming smile and is thumbing a lift and they are all shouting their hello’s. One hell of a surprise. Our attitude means a lot.

Why do people carry or wear so much?
In Sydney last year it was 39c in the shade but vast numbers of sightseers, not backpackers, were wearing massively filled backpacks. Didn’t look like camera gear and no way was there a need for waterproofs and food was cheap so surely no picnic needed. Their backs must have been in meltdown within two minutes.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Strange, isn't it...I can recall being subject to what I can only describe as good-natured low-level sexual harassment from a group of retired lady walkers on the Ridgeway once...and later that same day it was pouring with rain and my companion on an 800 BM and myself on a 950 KTM were tackling a trick downhill onto the edge of a Wiltshire village when we saw a retired couple clock us at the bottom of the hill and watch while we slipped and skidded towards them. When we got to the bottom, I was expecting some sour comment, but no, the bloke opened the gate for us with a smile, and the woman said: "Oh, it's made our day watching you ride those big bikes down the hill!"
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Barmouth bridge is always interesting.
99% of older people love watching you ride over and often do the gate for you.
Families generally like you, kids are interested and want a wave, dads desperately want a bike, wives shrink away and worry their husband is going to buy a bike.
Yoofs and millenials ignore you.
Serious walkers and cyclists hate every fibre of your being.

That is from only 7 one way crossings though.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

We always do the Barmouth Bridge away from the town, ride up to the Cregennan Lakes and then do 'Heol Ddu'; easily doable even on big bikes on road tyres, dropping down into Towyn and taking the coast road back to Fairbourne.
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

Thanks Tony for signing Seniors Citizens Banned from using pedal assisted bikes in Angeles District Park bike trails!

From Change.org
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

PaulinBont wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:12 pm We always do the Barmouth Bridge away from the town, ride up to the Cregennan Lakes and then do 'Heol Ddu'; easily doable even on big bikes on road tyres, dropping down into Towyn and taking the coast road back to Fairbourne.
.. just watch out for the bad ass bikers ..

Image137cbarmouth by gary boy, on Flickr
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

always knew that these new-fangled e-bikes would cause a stir :lol:
something else for countryside users to moan about ..

though to be honest, in general (as a motorcyclist/cyclist/walker) have encountered very little protest or grudge-faced opposition.

I have found that the most conflict is by or from/towards cyclists.
they invariably pass you (as a walker) far too close and far too fast, and with no respect at all.
I am even getting to shouting at the bastards, now. (once they at a safe distance :lol: )
So I would be coming across as a bad ass moany rambler :shock:
but it is their disrespect that is causing the problem
both to walkers and even to motorcyclists :evil:

Image20180804_120410 by gary boy, on Flickr

when I am a cyclist on a trail (once the weather breaks :roll: ) I cycle carefully and respectfully bell any walkers ahead .. but they always react badly .. as if I am harassing them .. but I am not!

so I see this .. cyclists/walkers as the main area of conflict .. on what is usually designated a cycle path (that walkers can use :roll: )

ebikes were always going to make this even worse .. as they are quieter and faster .. all the better to sneak up behind a nice quiet walker and frighten the livin shitt outta them :lol: …... :evil: (choose icon to suit travel mode)
Last edited by garyboy on Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “THE PUB”