Air Ambulance petition

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Nigel

Re: Air Ambulance petition

Post by Nigel »

DavidS wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:31 pm I’m inclined to the independent route.
The RNLI manage exceedingly well and there is more likelihood of Joe Public needing the air ambulance.

As soon as any government gets their hands on it it will go the way of police and ambulance funding....down, down, down.
Talking to a guy in RNLI when I visited lifeboat station in the Isle of Wight many years ago, they didn't want the government anywhere near them!
You only have to see the giant cock up they have made of brexit to know you don't want the incompetent bunch of idiots holding the purse strings ;)
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

I will not sign it !!

As already said, Air Ambulances would prefer to stay independent and rely on charity

They don't want to be government funded.

Don't ruin what a great service we have

Think carefully before you sign

Look at the Government's administration of the NHS as a prime example
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I have sent a brief email to the association requesting their guidance. I will update you when I receive their reply.

TTFN

Hugh.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Try a quick thought experiment the other way around.

Ask the management and staff of the Fire Brigade if they would rather give up their current regular funding via taxation and become dependent on charity.

In a year of poor donations, firefighters would be laid off, fires burn unattended and victims left unrescued. Vital services shouldn't be subject to the chance ups and downs of donations.

Of course it's absolutely right to criticise cuts and reductions in government funding, and completely understandable that people distrust the current government. BUT unlike charities, everybody has the opportunity to unelect those who are responsible for managing the central economy. Given that the air ambulance and lifeboats provide a public service, they really should have some publicly accountable management.

It's a sad sign of how public trust in politicians has deteriorated that people are wondering whether essential services are best managed by charities.
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

johnnyboxer wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:05 am I will not sign it !!

As already said, Air Ambulances would prefer to stay independent and rely on charity

They don't want to be government funded.

Don't ruin what a great service we have

Think carefully before you sign

Look at the Government's administration of the NHS as a prime example
Can I ask which ones you received that opinion from, it would be good to know as Hugh is trying to ask them.
As with all petitions of course you should only sign if you agree, I imagine the lady who started the petition believes it's the right thing to do but each to their own.
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

Very much on the fence , on the one hand such a vital life saving service should be funded by the public purse but on the other hand were national or local government or the civil service to get involved the costs would rocket and the efficiency plummet.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

I donate to the Airambulance annually.

One of the small things that's gets me. Is when you see the guys at supermarket or events trying to get people to sign up to donate their £3 month.
Is they never have a bucket with them to collect change, many people I know won't want to commit to a monthly donation but would be more than happy to bung some change into the bucket.

I have asked why they don't do have a collection bucket for this.
No one seemed to have a clue.
Small change soon mounts up to big money
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

zimtim wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:15 pm Many people I know won't want to commit to a monthly donation but would be more than happy to bung some change into the bucket.

I have asked why they don't do have a collection bucket for this.
No one seemed to have a clue.
Yep, this is the problem for a lot of charities. They are desperate to guarantee for themselves some reliable cash-flow, but they inevitably rely upon human compassion and generosity - which is sometimes fickle and very variable.

That's why so many of them have adopted the monthly subscription or annual direct debit model. It provides some surety that a certain amount is likely to flow into the charity in a fairly reliable way. Charities funded solely by street donations into shakers/buckets or seasonal campaigns are susceptible to sudden large swings of income and to the dedication of volunteers. If you are 'Save the Locust' then perhaps this means you just save fewer locusts this year compared to last, but if you are the Air Ambulance you face selling helicopters, standing down crews and no longer offering a service to a whole region.

However the direct debit commitments (and the 'charity muggers' who accost people for sign-ups in the street), while giving the charity some reliable cash-flow, also tend to lead people to regard the charity as a business - which can seem to fly in the face of the good charitable work they are doing. The big charities now have Chief Execs on £150,000+ and tiers of management responsible for fund raising, accounts and operations. You can't run something like Save The Children without a lot of organisation. But people don't like to think of any of their donation going anywhere but the coal face. These are real dilemma for modern charities.

Interesting debate.
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Perhaps it's time for something inbetween as the air ambulances work alongside the ambulance service and other emergency services the goverment could provide funding contribution but allow them to keep the charitable status if they wish. Maybe fund matching what they raise from public donation. They provide funding to other areas such as the arts, museums etc.
If the petition creates a parliamentary debate it will not be wasred, as I believe in the current climate they are unlikely to nationalise the air ambulance service.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

If it doesn’t appear to broke, don’t try to fix it.
I very much doubt response time and professionalism would improve one jot if it became publicly funded.

I got accosted about the monthly donation bit at a garage. They wanted to build more hospital landing pads so I guess they aren’t exactly short of cash. I said no but I would give him £20 there and then and he wouldn’t/couldn’t take it. Not a good move IMHO.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R

Return to “THE PUB”