Bizarre situation with Bennetts!

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
AlanHolt

Re: Bizarre situation with Bennetts!

Post by AlanHolt »

daveuprite wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:20 pm
garyboy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:21 pm it seems that bikes are now only insured for theft when you are actually riding them :shock: :( :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

There's a crazy rule in France that forces you to insure ANY vehicle, even if it never goes on the road and even if you say that you don't want to insure it. We have a farm quad that isn't road registered and has never ever left our land. I use it to tow a trailer out to the fields and fix fencing etc. I am supposed to insure it, but I leave it somewhere fairly safe and I'm happy to take the risk. Similarly I have had thousands of euros worth of unregistered race/track bikes on site waiting for me to do them up for sale. I didn't want to insure them. All of them were sold within a month or so of my buying them and never used on a road. Some of them were taken by van to race tracks, used, and then returned to my workshop, where they were covered up and chained up. I was content to risk a break in. By law I should have declared and insured the lot of them at great expense. Well sod that. The insurance companies would almost certainly have wriggled out of any claim anyway because they are nasty, profiteering, opportunist, slimy bastar*s. Is that ranty enough? I could do more if you want...
It's EU law that all vehicles are insured, whether used on the road or not. Something to do with a Romanian being hit by a tractor on private land.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Haven’t they just exempted motorsport vehicles?
I also thought it was only under consideration, not law yet but I’m probably wrong.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

AlanHolt wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:04 pm
It's EU law that all vehicles are insured, whether used on the road or not. Something to do with a Romanian being hit by a tractor on private land.
Is that an urban myth, or perhaps a rural myth :shock:
one-legged adventurer
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

If it was a farm, surely there should have been business third party liability.
If we’re going that route, it’s about time EVERY non pedestrian road user has third party liability. That said, maybe everyone should have some sort of cover as even pedestrians can cause enough damage.

A few years ago I couldn’t get my SORN’d trials bike insured for TPFT as it didn’t have a seat and a full sized number plate. :roll:
It was only while it was on the back of the Freelander.
It was only worth £800 so I didn't bother trying too hard. Sadly the guy who bought it from me had it stolen along with other bikes.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

DavidS wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:35 pm Haven’t they just exempted motorsport vehicles?
I also thought it was only under consideration, not law yet but I’m probably wrong.
Wasn't aware of that. I gave up racing 10 years ago, so not in the loop anymore.

I just don't see why anybody should be forced to insure something that will never see a public road. If the owner is prepared to risk a theft and content that they will be uninsured if that happens then why can't they be left alone to judge the risk for themselves?
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

daveuprite wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:11 pm
DavidS wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:35 pm Haven’t they just exempted motorsport vehicles?
Wasn't aware of that. I gave up racing 10 years ago, so not in the loop anymore.

I just don't see why anybody should be forced to insure something that will never see a public road. If the owner is prepared to risk a theft and content that they will be uninsured if that happens then why can't they be left alone to judge the risk for themselves?
It was only a couple of weeks’ ago. Allegedly it would have finished all motorsport as it would have been impossible or prohibitively expensive to insure classic race cars, in particular. No one can, or has to take, responsibility for their own actions these days.

Totally agree with your second para.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

DavidS wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:33 pm
daveuprite wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:11 pm

It was only a couple of weeks’ ago. Allegedly it would have finished all motorsport as it would have been impossible or prohibitively expensive to insure classic race cars, in particular. No one can, or has to take, responsibility for their own actions these days.

Totally agree with your second para.
Well my existentialist sense of self-determination only goes so far. I agree with government regulations that protect people from exploitation, that protect the environment from capitalism's excesses and which prevent the richest and most privileged from taking advantage of the poorest and least entitled. But I do get fed up with those who hand over their own personal responsibility for their actions to others. If I fuck up, and I often do, then it's my problem and I won't be seeking others to blame for my own mistakes. Oops, looks as though we're back to brexit. Sorry about that.... :)
bowber

Post by bowber »

I asked about changing my bikes to not garaged and apparently they couldn't do that! 🙄

Steve
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

boboneleg wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:28 pm
AlanHolt wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Is that an urban myth, or perhaps a rural myth :shock:
Its all here:

https://www.insurancetimes.co.uk/govern ... 09.article
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The Vnuk legislation is still being kicked around

https://www.motorsportuk.org/assets/msu ... eb2019.pdf

if you are concerned, write to your MEP while you still have one!

I suspect it will not see the light of day. As originally proposed, it would even have covered domestic pedestrian-controlled lawn-mowers used in private gardens.

The original legislation involved an old boy up a ladder in a barn being clipped by a reversing farm trailer. It wouldn't have been an issue in the UK where it would have been covered by employer liability insurance.

I suspect we may see insurance requirements tightened to cover bicycles (esp pedalecs) and daft personal transportation devices like hoverboards.

Return to “THE PUB”