Car dealers

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Billy Bananahead

Re: Car dealers

Post by Billy Bananahead » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:12 pm

daveuprite wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:56 pm
I've never ever bought a brand new car myself. Must feel strange and exciting I guess.

But do you really want to be the person who loses half the value of the car in the first 3 years?
Depends how long you keep the car/bike/van Dave.
Keep it for the life of the thing and it won't owe you anything, apart from running costs obviously.
I sold my last brand new Transit van after 13 years of ownership and 200,000 miles for £180.

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
Peirre

Post by Peirre » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:04 pm

I looked at various options inc carwow to buy a new car, but once it got down to the detail, what the the brokers discounted, they front loaded at the other end of the deal. So I took the figures on paper to my local dealer and they did a deal to match the one offered by the broker.

This was January 2017 when I placed the order, but due to dieselgate and the new emissions testing the car has only just been built!!!!!!!

daveuprite

Post by daveuprite » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:53 am

Billy Bananahead wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:12 pm
daveuprite wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:56 pm
I've never ever bought a brand new car myself. Must feel strange and exciting I guess.

But do you really want to be the person who loses half the value of the car in the first 3 years?
Depends how long you keep the car/bike/van Dave.
Keep it for the life of the thing and it won't owe you anything, apart from running costs obviously.
I sold my last brand new Transit van after 13 years of ownership and 200,000 miles for £180.
Yeah, fair point. We bought our current car when we first moved to France 11 years ago. It was 4 years old then and hasn't put a foot wrong in all that time - although it only does about 10,000kms per year max. As you say, you only lose your money when you sell, so just don't sell!

Even if we sold it now, it would be worth maybe €4000 euros and it cost us €16000 - so it would have cost us just over €1000 euros per year in depreciation. Not bad.

Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:38 am

I should say that my last van was in need of a lot of welding to the underside of the body. £400 was spent on welding 2 years before i got rid and at the last MOT another £500 was needed on welding.
No one would touch it round here, so even though it was all mechanically sound at 200,000 miles it just had to go for the scrap value at one of the local dismantlers, which was a shame really.

catcitrus

Post by catcitrus » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:59 pm

these days good old cars sell between 400 and 800 quid--and are generally NOT of the dealer only service type. We have a pug 306 and after three years and a cost of 380 quid is still smart, goes very well--and I look up to new Minis--in other words it actually goes round corners! My dear old Fiat Scudo has just got back from Wales--its a disabled ambulance-cost 1100 quid 11 years ago and has just passed another MOT--it needs a bit of work every now and then , but its very simple--regularly records mid 40s to the gallon, doesn't emit any visible smoke etc. Unlike Fords they galvanised a lot of the chassis and body panels--and there is simply no rust , and its 1996 with 195 thousand on the clock. I see no point in buying new and getting locked in to dealer servicing and electrickery that you can't diagnose or fix--and to be honest I reckon its far greener as all the steel has been mined a long time ago--of course provided that it meets the emission targets. Don't forget that in most of the rest of the world including the grand old USA there are NO checks apart from local cities like Chicago, and of course California.

Return to “THE PUB”