not bike related but a sobering thought

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
PaulinBont

Re: not bike related but a sobering thought

Post by PaulinBont »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:22 am Nice one...450 engine as well.

:D

Which gearbox has it got?

And there was me thinking that you were referring to the CCM .....
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I could do with 6 gears in the CCM!

My day job...if you could call it a job...is writing about trucks and trucking.

The technology is amazing...some truck transmissions are now GPS-enabled, and know when the truck is approaching a hill, they also know how heavy the truck is, and work out a gearchanging/roadspeed/enginespeed strategy before they reach the hill.

Not sure I'd want that on a motorbike ,mind, but when you've got 12 gears and 450 hp to play with it's nice to have a bit of help.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

that truck engine and gearbox, in the CCM ?? ….. hmmmmmmmmmmm …. I reckon with a bit of fiddling >>>>> :D
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

The cr@ppy Euro 6 Daf's we have accelerate really slowly when going down an incline even with the throttle buried, which is really dangerous when trying to build up speed to join a motorway. Today joining the A1 dual carriageway around Stamford I merged in to lane 1 at 30mph, even though there was plenty of gap the trucks were having to pull in to lane 2 because after nearly half a mile the piece of sh1t wasn't up to 56mph :evil: .
I was impressed with the adaptive cruise control though and can report that the radar does pick up a motorcycle in front and maintain the distance 8-) .
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Richard Simpson Mark II

It may have an 'economy' switch permanently enabled to save fuel...just as a matter of interest how old is it..the new ZF Traxon gearbox is much better than the old AS-Tronic.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:28 pm It may have an 'economy' switch permanently enabled to save fuel...just as a matter of interest how old is it..the new ZF Traxon gearbox is much better than the old AS-Tronic.
67 plate, they've got about 80 of them on lease-doh!!! 12 speed automatic but normally miss out a gear each change so 2 to 4 to 6 etc etc.
Quite a few are now being sent to London and Birmingham due to the new/imminent ultra low emission zones, we get the older euro 5's in exchange which are way more powerful and only 6 speed automatic.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

Nigel wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:45 pm and train drivers are on £50,000 a year, presumably for the responsibility of other people lives, driving a lorry on busy roads hmm
The train drivers still have a union.

Back in the day ( before the T woman) a lot of working people were in unions , now they hardly exist outside the public sector.
After I finished my apprenticeship I was given an AUEW green card. In 1979 the union had 1.5 million members , and guess what engineers got paid good money.

Oh and no one was on a zero hours contract.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Tonibe63 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:37 pm
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:28 pm It may have an 'economy' switch permanently enabled to save fuel...just as a matter of interest how old is it..the new ZF Traxon gearbox is much better than the old AS-Tronic.
67 plate, they've got about 80 of them on lease-doh!!! 12 speed automatic but normally miss out a gear each change so 2 to 4 to 6 etc etc.
Quite a few are now being sent to London and Birmingham due to the new/imminent ultra low emission zones, we get the older euro 5's in exchange which are way more powerful and only 6 speed automatic.

What model is it...LF or CF?
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

LF

Return to “THE PUB”