Sayings you Hate

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
garyboy

Re: Sayings you Hate

Post by garyboy »

Billy Bananahead wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:53 pm I don't know if these count as sayings or not, but they get right on my wick...
could of, should of, would of, when meaning could have, should have and would have. :x
Oh and mixing up accept and except, aagghh :roll:
trouble is, the more you read/hear these inaccuracies the more they get ingrained .. some of us have spent a lifetime trying to improve our writing, and this shit is like the `fake news` of our writing brain .. yuuuukk!

``were do we go from hear? put the break on, road out we cuud, but were too?``
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

"WHAT EVER" with a very loud juvenile pitch.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

chunky butt wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:21 am "WHAT EVER" with a very loud juvenile pitch.
actually .. I really laaav this phrase .. sums up the response to the ridiculousness of (some) authority?
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Hate rather than dislike
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

OB1 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:29 pm
Teflon Jnr wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:20 pm Yolo,sick and epic my kids use them all the time for instance that film was sick dad. my answer oh was it poorly son to which I get frowned at and told I'm old I'm 35 by the way

I have a couple of mates in their 50s who say things are sick... :roll:
I always thought it was "sic" from the Latin meaning thus. "Your bike is sic (thus, the way it is, the thing)". But it's not, it's just "sick" which is stupid and annoying.

I hate "it's a learning curve". No it isn't it's a "learning experience". Most people who use "learning curve " have no idea what it means, for a start it's a process not a one off.

And "it's one of the only..." AAaaaaarrrrggggg. It's either the only or one of the few. God that boils my piss (one of my favorite sayings).

And "oh my gosh.." just say God, everybody knows what you mean and you know you want too.

I could go on... :lol:
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

The use of "super " before everything, for example - "I'm super excited about.."

also "back in the day" wtf does that mean?

and now "democracy" - that word now seems to mean anything anybody wants it to. :roll:
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

When I worked for Surrey County Council, I attended the dreaded weekly 'senior management team' meeting. A fellow attendee kind of shared my sense of slightly cynical humour and we played what we called 'Bullshit Banter Bingo'. The aim is to pick up on any word or phrase which is used instead of, or to disguise, or to distract from, a much simpler way of saying the same thing. We would give each other a quick kick under the table when we detected some 'BBB'.

This was back in about 2001 - 2005 and many of the bullshit phrases we know well today were being invented and adopted by corporate bodies all over the place. Stuff like 'Win Win', 'Performance Indicators', 'Additionality', 'Challenge Funding', 'Multi-Agency Cross-Sector Working' etc etc.

At some point what we used to call a problem became 'a challenge' - the idea being that blame was then harder to allocate. Now nobody seems to have problems anymore; they just have bloody 'challenges'. It lets those responsible off the hook, particularly politicians.

And lastly there's 'journey'. Every documentary on TV seems to involve going 'on a journey' - even when the presenter never sets foot on a train, plane, bus or ship. A journey of discovery. Yuk.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

I work in marketing... and I refuse to talk their language.

A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

some very interesting newisms/jargon there, (in last few threads)

and its still happening !!
still being invented!

the other day on TV, I watched a young lady spout out, very professionally, a string of sentences the words and phrases of which I had literally never heard before (and I do try to keep up) .. must have been 50 new phrases in a few minutes.

I understood every word and where she was coming from
and genuinely marvelled at her seeming professionalism and knowledge … but totally all-new stuff .. waw!
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Here's a few more that bug me:

Literally as in: "His head literally exploded"... no, it didn't.

Rewriting history as in: "That [insert event here] has just rewritten history"... no, it is creating history.

A common Americanism that's coming over here is "I could care less" which should be "I couldn't care less".

There are so many Americanisms that seem to be forcing their way into the English language due to TV, films and YouTube infecting the minds of kids these days...
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com

Return to “THE PUB”